Saturday, November 19, 2022

1.19 Library - Shelved Books

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the nineteenth day of the month is "Library." I've decided I'm going to just tell you what are on my library book shelves each month.

*****************

As you know, I'm in the middle of a bad reading rut. I'm struggling with what to read next because I think I'm feeling mean and nasty about books right now, so the next book I read has to be brilliant enough to combat that feeling or just bad enough that I feel okay about maintaining that feeling.  Here's what I have.

Paper books I have checked out:
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow (fantasy, currently reading)
The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney (contemporary fiction, DNFed, needs to be returned)
The Evening and the Morning (Kingsbridge #0) by Ken Follett (historical fiction)
The Last Graduate (The Scholomance #2) by Naomi Novik (YA fantasy, did not love, needs to be returned)
The Golden Enclaves (The Scholomance #3) by Naomi Novik (YA fantasy)
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie (contemporary fiction)
The Last Herald Mage by Mercedes Lackey (fantasy)




Ebooks I have checked out:
Charmed Life (Chrestomanci #1) by Diana Wynne Jones (YA fantasy, probably will be a DNF)
Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3) by Seanan McGuire (YA fantasy)

Audiobook I have checked out:
The Soulmate Equation by Christina Lauren (romance, only have it for two more days and haven't started it, so will probably be returned without me ever starting it)

Board game I have check out:
Codewords (we have a Harry Potter version we both like very much, but before I put the original on my holiday list, I thought I'd check it out to see if we like the OG version as much)

Books I have on hold:
The Kissing Bug: A True Story of a Family, an Insect, and a Nation's Neglect of a Deadly Disease by Daisy Hernandez (ready to be picked up at the public library)
The Ink Black Heart (Cormoran Strike #6) by Robert Galbraith (in the shipping process to the public library)
Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch (ready to be picked up at the university library),
The Round House by Louise Erdrich (pending at the public library)
The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (pending at the public library)
A Wolf Called Wander by Roseanne Parry, illustrated by Monica Armino (pending at the public library)

Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters #1) by Juliet Marillier (ebook hold; 7 out of 7)
The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1) by Nghi Vo (ebook hold; 6 out of 7)
Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky #1) by Rebecca Roanhouse (ebook hold; 16 out of 18)
American Royalty by Tracey Livesay (ebook hold; 17 out of 18)
Funny You Should Ask by Elissa Sussman (ebook hold; 16 of 171)
Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan (ebook hold; 18 of 247)
Hello Stranger (The Ravenels #4) by Lisa Kleypas (ebook hold; 9 of 14) - note to self: why am I still reading this series?
Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner (ebook hold; 14 of 351)
Kushiel's Dart (Phedre's Trilogy #1) by Jacqueline Carey (ebook hold; 4 of 19)
The Friend by Sigrid Nunez (ebook hold; 12 of 12)

Have you read any of these books?  Please tell me that my reading rut will end soon.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but I want to read Ten Thousand Doors of January. I'll be interested in your review on that, although I'll take it with a grain of salt since you're not liking anything these days, ha ha... Actually, I'll be interested to see what book finally gets you out of your rut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten Thousand Doors of January wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good! More in-depth review to come early next week.

      Delete
  2. When I get into a reading slump and start racking up DNFs I ask myself why I'm being so nasty and nit picky...and then I come finally come across a good book and I realize that it wasn't me, it was the books.

    I just finished The Accomplice by Lisa Lutz which I can't rave about enough, but I don't have another book lined up. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I mentioned it on your blog that I've never read a Lutz book I didn't think was hilarious, so I'm adding to my TBR!

      Delete
  3. I've read a few of those, but many I have never heard of! I'm reading Startup by Doree Shafrir, and it's pretty enjoyable. Man, though, books date quickly now. It was written in 2017, and you can tell that it was written in 2017. I have a bunch of books on hold and I'm a little scared because they haven't transited yet but suddenly I'm top of the list for like eight of them. I think they are all going to come in at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in such a reading rut that I ordered too many books to compensate and now they're all just sitting there and that Cormoran Strike book is over 1000 pages, so I do not know how I'm going to get through them all. Oh, well, too many books isn't the worst problem to have!

      Delete
  4. We have two versions of Codenames - the original (words) and pictures. It's a favourite game in our household. I bet my daughter would love the HP version too...but 3 versions sounds like a lot for one household??!!

    Good luck finding the next great book. I can't think of any that I've read lately I think you'd particularly enjoy; maybe try The Accomplice?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The HP version has words on one side and pictures (from the movies) on the other, so I bet Abby would love it and then you'd have FOUR versions. Ha. We find the HP version to be incredibly challenging and I am hoping the OG version is, as well.

      Delete
  5. How cool is it that you can borrow games? I love that. We have the picture version of Codenames, and like playing that. Plus it's short.
    I have Ten Thousand Doors of January on my holds and it keeps coming up, but I'm always in the middle of a book so I haven't checked it out yet.
    Of the others on your list, I've read Crying in H Mart, which I enjoyed, but wasn't the book that I thought it was going to be.
    I'm reading Olga Dies Dreaming right now and find it pretty engaging and fun, and listening to the audiobook of My Lady Jane, which is hilarious and gripping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many things we can borrow at our library! It's not just books anymore. We can check out tools, video games and consoles, jigsaw puzzles, American Girl dolls, and so much more. There's a tab on our library web page called "Library of Things" that lists all the things you can check out.

      Delete
  6. Ha, I think it's the first time I see a book on your list that I am about to read, top (The ten thousand doors of January). I so hope it was a good pick and I am going to have a lookout for your review. I am excited to see that there is a new Cormoran Strike. I am going to check if our library has it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cormoran Strike book is over 1000 pages, so it's a time investment if you're going to dive in!

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately, I cannot make any recommendations, as I haven't read any of these books. But please let me know which one you picked and if it lived up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you can check out games and puzzles! I looked at our library to see if they have puzzles to check out and they don't. :( They do have a puzzle in one of the areas that you can work on but there is no way I could work on it w/ my kids w/ me, and they are always w/ me when we go to the library!

    I hope you get over your slump!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason, I always forget that you can check out things other than books, music, and magazines at libraries. I'll have to see if my library lets us check out games. That would be a fun way to try out some new games for our family game nights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be interested to see what you thought of Ten Thousand Doors. I loved it but also know that what you like and what I like frequently don't align... :) Also, my goodness, that's a LOT of holds. And, it's astonishing the number of holds on some of those e-books. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete