Friday, November 11, 2022

1.11 Stranger - Results

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the eleventh day of the month is "Stranger."

****************


I went to a lot of school to understand election results and I still don't understand what happened in Wisconsin on Tuesday.

I mean, I do understand it. But I don't understand how people make the decisions they make.

Here's the deal. The governor won reelection. He's a Democrat. The no-good, horrible, racist, sexist, homophobic US senator also won reelection. He's a Republican. 

This is the incumbency advantage. Once you're elected to an office, you're much  more likely to win reelection than a challenger is to beat you. That's all this is. Both of these white men had won the office before and because of name recognition, government resources like the franking privilege, and easier access to campaign finance, they won again.  That's the correct "political science" answer.

But there's an another interesting puzzle here.

There had to be some split-ticket voters. In order for this outcome to happen, there are people walking around in our state who voted for Evers and Johnson, two politicians who couldn't hold more opposing views. Who are these people? What are they thinking? How does this outcome happen?  How are they judging the merits of the candidates and arriving at the conclusion that voting for these two candidates aligns with their own values?  

There was a time in history when people frequently voted across party lines. I remember my father telling me that it was important to keep Democrats in Congress and Republicans in the governor's office (which...is nonsense for another time), but I think that the time for that sort of thinking is long since gone as the parties diverge in positions.

So, that's my current question. Who are these split-ticket voters and why are they voting like this?

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm. It is a little hard to imagine. First of all, these candidates sound wildly different. How is someone voting for both of them? Second, I agree- we're so polarized now, it's unusual for someone to split the ticket. Or so I would have thought- but as you pointed out, it obviously happened. I really hate our political system right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The system is in a bit of chaos right now, but I think there are simple fixes that could really help (gerrymandering and campaign finance). I don't see those simple fixes happening, though, so we might be stuck with this for a long time.

      Delete
  2. D, I had the EXACT same thoughts about Wisconsin... and also about the tight races in Georgia. How is Warnock percentage points away from winning the senate seat and Stacy Abrams didn't even have a shot at the governorship?? I am mind-boggled because I came to the same conclusion: there are split-ticket voters and what are they thinking???

    I have often split my votes in elections in Germany, but you have to keep in mind, the big parties in Germany are MUCH closer in ideology than the big parties here AND they're both to the LEFT of the US Democratic party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you might vote for different parties when they aren't essentially diametrically opposite in every meaningful way! *Huge sigh* I don't know really know who these people are who are voting like this - maybe they literally don't watch the news and don't understand the stances of the parties? If so, maybe they shouldn't be voting, right?

      Delete
  3. Hi! I found you via a comment you left on J's blog. Somehow I feel like I need to introduce myself.

    I remember being told the same thing that you mentioned above: "it was important to keep Democrats in Congress and Republicans in the governor's office" but I don't know why that was a goal.

    My guess about split-ticket voters is that they know they're voting for someone awful which creates cognitive dissonance. They then vote 180ยบ opposite in order to assuage their guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, welcome! I feel like my father's reasoning for keeping Dems in Congress and Reps in state office had to do with fiscal conservatism. He wanted spending to be capped locally (so Reps did that), but he wanted socially liberal policies nationally. Or something like that.

      Your theory on split-ticket voters of today is interesting. It would be really interesting to interview some of those voters and see if it holds up!

      Delete
  4. I suppose it is good that clueless people vote, but it is hard to understand why they would bother on some cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it IS good that clueless people vote. I mean, they are making huge impacts based on...their whims? I don't really want to go back to times of eligibility questions and tests for voting, but I can see how it could be tempting.

      Delete
  5. Great question, and I don't have an answer besides "what the..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently have to remind myself that half of the population is below average intelligence and you can't be mad at people for things that aren't their fault. It is a tiny bit of a comfort.

      Delete
  6. I kind of put my head in the ground last week and did not follow election coverage very closely outside of the state of MN. Plus I was traveling so didn't have much downtime to read news coverage, etc. So I hadn't heard about this, but it is odd. We kind of had something similar with the attorney general office in our state. The governor won pretty comfortably but the attorney general just barely eked out a win. But that's a lower states situation than what happened in WI!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is interesting to hear a bit more insights. Obviously here in Germany we do know there was an election but details in each state are just not relevant for us. But its always good to know a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It truly does not make sense to me, either! It's also mind-boggling that Republicans are still so popular even though their views are so abhorrent and out of step with the general public. I'm glad Dems didn't do as bad as expected in these mid-terms so now it's time to freak out about 2024! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNOW! What the WHAT? (On the other hand, I'm sure you've since seen that the horrific ads Johnson ran highlighting crime and [most despicably] Barnes' skin color may have had an impact?) I am super-proud of Dane county; apparently we put Evers over the top. Thank. God. Now, can we please please please get rid of Robin Vos????

    ReplyDelete