Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Driving, Dancing, and Daring

Last weekend, my husband and I went to a wedding. 

For a lot of people, that might not seem like such a big deal, but for people who have refused to do indoor activities for the two and a half years, it really was. We threw all caution to the wind and didn't wear masks to the ceremony or reception. It felt a tiny bit weird at first, but then it just felt like life in the beforetimes. 

Friday morning and early afternoon was a whirlwind of activity. I needed to get to the grocery store (because I was going with my husband, we needed a full cooler, so I had to buy ice and some travel snacks) and pharmacy, get Hannah's stuff ready to go to her sitter, work out, pack, and get Zelda ready for a weekend on her own. By the time the sitter came to get Hannah, we were ready to go.

We drove to Des Moines, which took us about six hours. In that time, we were listening to a 90s playlist that was curated by Apple and had way too many TOOL songs on it for the likes of me. While Dr. BB was driving, though, I got my texting game on hard and texted all my people.  We stopped at the World's Largest Truck Stop (disappointingly small) where I ate a salad and Frosty from Wendy's and Dr. BB ate out of the cooler.

Saturday morning, we went to the Des Moines Farmers' Market, which was HUGE. It was blocks and blocks long, music everywhere, cool vendors, and tons of people. If you ever find yourself with time to kill on a Saturday morning in Des Moines, go there. It was so cold, though, with a quite crisp wind, and we didn't meander much because we didn't pack for being outside in that type of weather.  

We went back to the hotel and got dressed and then went to the ceremony. The bride looked radiant, the dress was lovely, the flowers were gorgeous, the groom couldn't keep his eyes off the bride, and everyone was so happy. The priest was a lunatic and the homily was rambling and incoherent, but led to lots of catchphrases, including "marriage is like a monastery" and "you wake up every morning with a spark for your spouse." Dr. BB and I definitely dissected this homily for all its insaneness.

THEN WE GOT ICE CREAM. My sister-in-law was there without her kids or husband (for a variety of boring reasons, but who cares? we got to spend time with her alone!) and she went with us. I got a scoop of cherry nut in a waffle bowl and it was everything I had hoped for.  My SIL got a scoop of salted caramel pretzel and said it was also quite good.  Huge thumbs up.

Then we went to the reception. Things started out sedately enough.

Dinner was great, but the cake was not, which was excellent news because I looked like a genius for getting ice cream. The dancing was amazing and I had MISSED getting out there on the dance floor. There were dance props, which was something I'd never heard of before, but is now my obsession. Soon, my SIL and I had our hair tied back, Dr. BB had taken his jacket off, and we were the kind of wedding guests your vendors dread.
No need to out my SIL here. She's great and beautiful.

We drove home the next day with lots of family gossip, an insane homily, and the feeling that maybe, just maybe, we can live normal lives again.  (To complete the food report I ate at Sonic on the way home and Sonic's cherry limeade slush and pretzel twist are sheer fast food perfection.) 

21 comments:

  1. I love so many things about this post.
    1) I'm so glad you felt comfortable (enough!) to take off your masks.
    2) "The priest was a lunatic". How do you always manage to make these short statements that make me almost wet myself from laughter.
    3) I'm SO glad the ice cream was everything you were hoping for; it is the WORST when something doesn't live up to expectations, but just so, so satisfying when it DOES end up being a hit.
    4) I'm a horrible dancer and never dance...but I love the idea of the props.
    5) That picture of you and Dr. BB looks so lovely <3
    6) I always laugh when I see those ridiculous claims like "World's Largest X." and they are usually very disappointing. It's like - this is it? My husband once travelled somewhere in Texas where they claimed to have the world's largest public bathroom. He said it was spot on; there were some crazy number of urinals and stalls (maybe 100's?). But what an odd claim to fame...
    7) I've never eaten at Sonic but I need to make this is a priority next time I'm in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) It really only felt weird for a brief period of time.
      2) The priest was really strange. It was all anyone could talk about!
      3) I feel so happy about the ice cream! It really paid off for me to ask about it as soon as we go the invitation!
      4) Never dance?! I am a magnet to the dance floor!
      5) Thanks for the compliment. We try our best.
      6) I've been making fun of The World's Largest Truck Stop for years. I swear to you that I think some random rest areas in Indiana are larger, but maybe it's number of spaces for trucks? Who knows?
      7) Sonic is SO good, especially the drinks. There's not one for hundreds of miles from our house, so I go whenever we visit Dr. BB's family.

      Delete
  2. What a fun weekend. You know it was a good wedding when you have a rowdy photo to commemorate it with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a good sign when your husband agrees to be ridiculous with you!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like so much fun!! I am so glad you had a normalish experience and had a complete and total blast! But OMG, the priest. Oof. It reminds me of a really awkward marriage sermon where the pastor repeated the phrase "erotic love" sooooo many times, it felt like a drinking game.

    We were super cautious like you guys up until this spring. We ate in a restaurant for the first time in Feb when we were in Tucson and it really did feel so weird. And then we slowly started to add things back. There was a bit of an adjustment period but it is kind of crazy how fast I adapted to a more normalish life. All along, I wanted to protect myself from getting covid since I am immune compromised, but I was more terrified of a quarantine with our toddler to be quite honest because he is exhausting! And then it happened in May and we survived, although I would not want to repeat that experience anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Why would the word "erotic" EVER need to be in a religious context? That sounds terrible!

      Delete
  4. Oh, friend! I am so glad you were able to go to a wedding, be around lots of people, and HAVE FUN! That's what it's all about! You look beautiful, too! I love that dress. It looks super comfortable but also really stylish!

    Dance props!! I need those in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that dress. It's from Nooworks a million years ago. I've worn it to about six or seven weddings now. LOL. We have debated whether or not it's too short for a woman of my age to wear it (it's just above the knee), but I guess I just don't care. It's fun and, as you say, comfortable for dancing all night.

      Delete
  5. THAT DRESS THO
    I love that dress! You look fantastic and WHAT a fun weekend! I love weddings so much. I love the dance floor, I love seeing people in love, and I love cake, so bummer the cake wasn't great (GENIUS ICE CREAM GODDESS). Ooooh how fun. I hope they played the Black Eyed Peas Let's Get It Started because that feels very wedding-like.
    Without knowing anything else, or any of the contex, I am going to be thinking "marriage is like a monastery" forever now. Wooooo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's Get It Started definitely was played, along with It's Raining Men and a LOT of songs I was unfamiliar with. It's clear that I'm an old now.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you went and had so much fun! As for the priest, I am picturing the one from The Princess Bride: “Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us together today."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marriage is a monastery nearly killed me. Vows of charity and poverty? Sex segregation? Sure. Marriage.

      Delete
  7. That is a good account of the weekend. Glad you had fun and seem to have remained healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that we remain healthy! So far, so good.

      Delete
  8. I can't love this post enough!
    Yay for you guys getting out and kicking up a rug. (is that what it's even called?) Dance props. Is that like props for the photo booth? Glasses? Silly hats?
    I had a good laugh at the Lunatic Priest and his homily!! You'll have inside jokes for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had the usual props for the photo booth - signs, glasses, etc. The dance props were all things that lighted up - glow stick necklaces and bracelets, those wands we're all holding in the photo, and oversized glasses that had LED lights on them. The dance props were amazing and I loved all of them.

      Delete
  9. Wow! You had quite a weekend! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much- it does feel really weird when you first stop wearing a mask, right? I love the "crazy" picture of you guys. We need more lighthearted moments like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun and I'm glad we did it. Neither of us was SUPER enthused about the drive, but the drive turned out to be almost as much fun as the wedding. Yay for leaving the house!

      Delete
  10. Oh this looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got to enjoy a wedding and dancing again... I know you have been so careful all this time and it was a big step for you, but all the fun was worth it I hope. Your pictures together is lovely (you clean up nicely :)) and it sounds like so much fun... lunatic priests can really be the life of the party LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could not love this post more. I had no idea you would be a dancer! I am a literal wallflower - if dance music is playing I am not on the dance floor. Can't do it. :) But omg, the PRIEST. That is insane. Wow. Just, wow. I hope you're still using what he said to make each other laugh. SO glad the ice cream lived up to expectations - yay!

    ReplyDelete