Thursday, June 09, 2022

May 2022 Expense Report

 

Another month in which is becomes clear that I'm working my job in order to keep my pets.

Bills ($221, 8.2%) - I had to pay the water/sewer and insurance bills.

Cars ($166, 6.2%) - I had to fill up one car with gas, pay a toll-related bill*, and get a new registration for our newer car. 

Clothing ($25, 0%) - I bought some new earrings for my second holes from an Etsy seller. I was really worried they were going to close and I like the new earrings. I wear a sun in one ear and a moon in the other. 

Communication ($16, 0%) - I paid for my Zoom membership.

Eating out ($15, 0%) - I got coffee once and had lunch at Sonic once.

Gifts ($350, 15%) - I bought birthday gifts for my husband, niece, and nephew.

Groceries ($664, 24.7%) - Eating is what it is. 

Health and fitness ($81, 3%): My regular fitness apps and classes, bought some vitamins and sunscreen.

Pets ($882, 32.8%): Could you imagine how much money I could save if I didn't have pets? IMAGINE. I bought Hannah all the things this month and the cat needed both of her types of food** and litter. I am going to start pretending this isn't happening to me. I'm so tired of endless loops of Chewy packages and a dog who isn't getting any better. 

Savings ($250, 9.3%) - If I weren't spending $500 a month on my dog, this would be a much nicer number. 

Other: ($21, 0%) - I had to get some stuff for the yard at the hardware store. 


*We have an Illinois I-Pass. Apparently our receiver was aging out, so we had to get a replacement. We chose to do that at a gas station when I was driving Dr. BB to the airport in March. Apparently the new receiver number did not work on that trip to the airport, despite us not being told it wouldn't work, so we got an evil letter about it. I tried to fight the ticket, but eventually it wasn't worth the effort and I just wrote them a check. I very bitterly wrote them a check.

**Zelda the Cat gets prescription wet food (1/3 of a can twice a day) as her main meals. She also gets a handful of kibble once she eats her wet food - such a small amount that I only buy the dry food once every year or so. She has a prescription to prevent bladder stones, which has been a problem for her in the past

6 comments:

  1. Groceries are SO expensive. I cannot make it out of the store for under $100, even if I'm just getting items for "a few meals" rather than doing the entire week's shopping. The I-pass thing would make me SO MAD. That is NOT your fault. But I get how it could become something not worth the exasperation of fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about all the challenges with Hannah; I always think of how fortunate she is to have you caring for her, but I'm sure it's frustrating (and expensive).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very detailed.

    We do a daily dance with our cat over food. She likes her wet food but not always after she implores us to put it down for her. Miserable beast. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, the pet expenses! That is so brutal! I really hope things improve for Hannah very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oof- that's tough. You are saving so much money in other ways (($15 for eating out???) but still... it's frustrating to be stuck in that situation with Hannah. I know you get a lot of joy from being with her (right?...I hope...) so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, those pet expenses! That is SO MUCH MONEY but what else are you going to do? Hannah needs it. And she's so lucky to have you guys as parents.

    I'm more astonished, though, at only spending $15 on eating out in a month. I probably don't even spend that on one meal out, haha.

    ReplyDelete