Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Walking the Dog in the Spring: Gear Edition

Earlier this year, I wrote up a post about what my outside gear is for winter dogwalking. Things are starting to warm up, so I thought I'd write a little bit about our gear looks like in the spring.  Here, spring is crazy variable. Sometimes it's warm, sometimes it's still near freezing. Sometimes it's raining, sometimes it's dry. Sometimes it's sunny, sometimes it's cloudy. So, if you're me, that means you need options.

Top Options

1) Ororo heated vest

I mentioned my heated vest in the winter roundup, but it's still going strong. Right now as I type this, it's sunny and 65 degrees and I just wore my vest to do Hannah's afternoon walk.  Last night when it was not quite freezing AND IT WAS SNOWING, I wore it underneath my rain jacket. It's a versatile piece and I've been pleased with how much use I've gotten out of it.

2) REI lightweight down jacket

This is my spring/fall down jacket. It's not as hardcore as my winter jacket, but it really is warm enough for me if the temperatures are above freezing. I don't even know if REI makes this jacket anymore, but it's incredibly lightweight and I love it. It has a hood and I wear it pretty regularly.

3) Patagonia Rain Coat (it's an old model, but the current model is here)

This was my new March purchase. I got it on clearance at REI and I like it a lot. It's lightly insulated with down and is absolutely waterproof. I've really been looking for something like this for years and it's crucial for when it's forty degrees and spitting rain or snowing a really wet snow. My winter coat and the above lightweight down coats aren't waterproof and would quickly get soaked through, so this has changed things for me and Hannah when the weather is gross.  

I will say that it has taken me a few wears to figure out how to adjust the coat so everything fits me properly. You have to adjust the hood and cuffs and that took me a little bit of trial and error, so it wasn't a perfect fit as soon as it came home.

I tried for years to do the thing where you're holding an umbrella and walking the dog and I'm excited that this coat will make that a thing of the past.

Footwear options

1) Columbia winter boots

Most days I'm still wearing my winter boots. Because it's frequently wet in the swampy area where we live, I like the waterproof nature of these boots. I'm much more likely to use these boots unlaced now, though, so I can just slip them on and off as I run out the door. 

2) Hunter rain boots

On days when it's raining, though, my winter boots don't cut it and I wear my Hunters. These are not ideal for me because there is no support in the footbed and there's not enough room in them for an insert, so even if I just do the quarter mile turn around the block, my feet hurt. However, no water gets through them, so I frequently end up wearing these when it's raining cats and dogs.

Accessories

1) Gloves and hat


At some point many years ago, I went to Target (I'm feeling quite nostalgic for browsing in stores and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be an in-person browser ever again) and purchased a huge pack of multiple pairs of those thin, stretchy, one size fits all gloves (just like this). I have a pair stuffed in every coat pocket that I own. Some days I need the gloves, but some days I don't. Regardless, they're always with me. I don't always wear my beloved windproof Craft hat, but on cold and windy days I definitely wear it under my hood.  

Dog Gear

1) Apoquel

When we regularly get hard frosts, I take Hannah off her allergy medication. It costs about $1.50 (I just did the math - it's $1.43) a day and that really adds up, so for a few months I give myself the relief of not giving it to her, but as soon as I see her chewing at her paws, I bring it back.  This stuff is magic for Hannah and I wish all dogs got the same level of relief that she does from it.


2) More regular grooming

During the winter, we get lazy about giving Hannah weekly baths. Her skin doesn't seem as irritated and she doesn't get as stinky. But last weekend we realized that the whole house smelled like dog and it had been a very long time since she'd had a bath. It's better when we can just hose her off in the driveway, but it's still too cold for that, so we're off to the doggy car wash on a weekly basis. We use fancy shampoo for the dog, but it's been sold out for months, so we're using a less fancy, but still spendy shampoo for her. I'm also brushing her daily now that she's shedding her winter coat.

Other than that, Hannah gets her harness and a glow collar if it's dark and that's all she needs for spring.  

What's your favorite springtime accessory that you are excited to bring back now that the weather is changing?

16 comments:

  1. Sneakers. I am just SO happy to be wearing sneakers again. I have a lot of issues with my feet and also just find all the winter gear feels so heavy...but being able to wear sneakers most days feels so, so liberating.
    That said, I have two MAJOR holes in my spring wardrobe - I don't own ANY raincoat. My winter coat is very big and heavy and is waterproof, but it's also insanely thick and warm, so it really doesn't work well for spring. And I have rubber boots but they are so uncomfortable.
    I make do with what I have, but the right gear really does make the experience of active living (outside) so much more pleasant.
    And your heated vest just seems like the best clothing option ever. I added it to my Christmas wish list for next year the first time you mentioned it! I have heated socks, but a vest would be incredible. I've also toyed with the idea of heated gloves as well. Haha. I live cold a lot in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly rarely wear sneakers. It is so wet and swampy here that I need something rain resistant for most of the spring and then when it's not so wet, I immediately switch to sandals. I really only wear tennis shoes for working out.

      I have been so surprised at how much I use that heated vest. It was pretty expensive, but I've seen some on resale sites, so I do think it would be possible to get one used. Heated gloves sound good in theory, but I've only read negative reviews of them, so I'm not sure if I'd invest unless someone told me personally that they worked well!

      Delete
  2. I read this post even though it applies to me 0%. Spring weather in Florida ranges from very warm to hot. We haven't started with our daily afternoon thunderstorms yet, but when that happens you just stay inside till it's over (they're brief.) But! I did grow up in the midwest, and one thing that strikes me is how poor our winter gear was. No wonder I was always freezing! I don't know if they didn't make all this stuff back then, or if we just didn't wear it because it wasn't "stylish' enough (?) The right clothes really make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly didn't have all this gear when I was young. I can't imagine my parents paying a ton of money for outdoor clothing I'd grow out of. Also, my nieces and nephews don't really seem to WANT to wear stuff outside - they just throw on hoodies and go outside even when I'm really bundled up. I think some of this was probably not available when we were young (heated clothing seems pretty new to me) and I think some of it was that we WERE young and didn't care as much. Ha!

      Delete
  3. I have those same Hunter boots but in black, and I agree, they are NOT ideal for walking. They are better for just looking cute, IMO. Ooooh that heated vest. I bet that feels divine. As for spring accessories, I'll let you know when it arrives! Lol. I guess the best thing is that I have (mostly) stopped wearing my winter boots for walking and put on my light hiking boots instead. But it's still periodically snowing, so I haven't put the winters away just yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. It was snowing last night. Fortunately the snow never lasts long in April!

      Delete
  4. My Hunter rainboots are also uncomfortable for walking long distances, which is too bad because I like them otherwise. I am looking forward to wearing my denim jacket again, but right now we have snow on the ground so it will still be a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a wonderful accessory a denim jacket is. Maybe in just weeks it will be a regular thing.

      Delete
  5. I have nearly the same light REI jacket. I think mine is a little shorter - it goes to the waist and yours looks like it's a little bit longer? But it's even the same color! I bought it years ago and have gotten tons of use out of it. That heated vest sounds awesome. I bought a vest to wear on days when I need a little extra warmth when running, like when it's 30ish or so? I don't have an active wear rain jacket - I only have one that is a dressier type of coat. So that is something I'd like to invest in eventually.

    I also have hunters and they are not great for walking very far! But they are so water proof so I like them for that aspect. I wear them to/from work right now since it's pretty soggy out there most days, but not so cold that I need my winter boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the consensus from this seems to be that Hunter boots are uncomfortable and I'm not sure why we all fell for buying them!

      Delete
  6. I'm mostly amazed that Hannah will go for walks when it's pouring rain outside. Maybe dachshunds are just notoriously drama queens? Haha. My previous dog Dutch would NEVER want to go for a walk when it was raining. It was a quick pee and back inside! Chip and Lucy also don't love going outside when it's raining.

    It's becoming "must always wear sunscreen even if I'm spending 10 minutes outside" type of weather (the UV index today was at a 9!!!) so I guess that's my springtime accessory now. Sunscreen all over no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hannah doesn't like pouring rain, but if it's sprinkling or even coming down pretty steadily, she doesn't mind. It's the wet snow that's the bigger problem for me, but Hannah LOVES snow. She hates a bath, though, so she's inconsistent in what water is okay. Dogs are all different!

      Delete
  7. You are ready to hike onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY - thanks for sharing the jacket! I am now searching on Patagonia's used gear site because the new one is a bit $$ for me. But it sounds perfect. Now, if I could just find a good, lightweight, summer rain jacket, we'll be in business. :) (Also, I second or third or whatever the unsupportive shoes... can't do it. Sigh. Getting old is for the birds...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that I was able to get that rain jacket on clearance. It was still quite expensive, but definitely a deal. Good luck finding one!

      Delete
  9. Haha, I am with Jenny... this post applies to me 0% because even in the winter, it never gets below freezing where I live in CA and even when it's wet, we rarely need rainboots. It sounds like you have the necessities down though!

    ReplyDelete