Thursday, April 21, 2022

Using the Library


I mostly use our public library for checking out books. As you can see from the above receipt that I got yesterday when I checked out a couple of books, according to whatever their secret math algorithm is, I have saved over $1000 in books that I've checked out in 2022 already. I like this feature of our library checkout process and I think it's a very good reminder to citizens who use the library that their tax money is going to good use.

But I want to talk about the OTHER things the library in my small town does.

1. Provides access to computers for people who can't afford them.

2. Has a space just for teenagers and allows mostly middle-school aged students to come and hang out at the library after school. Has a dedicated play area for children.  

3. Has tons of antiquated machinery, including a fax machine, VCR, and some weird old not vinyl music playing thing that I don't even know the name of.

4. Frequent programming, including bringing in speakers, story time for children, and Dungeons and Dragons time for teens.

5. Programming for people in the community with niche needs, including people with dementia and military veterans.

6. Free community room that many local non-profits and groups use, including a sewing club, a genealogy club, the Girl Scouts, and many a board meeting.

7. Free one-on-one time with a librarian to help you with your personal research.

8. Assistance obtaining tax forms and referrals on where to get help with taxes for low-income people.

9. Weekly newsletters and personalized book recommendations.

10. Really awesome librarians who only want to help you find whatever you need.  I know all of the librarians by sight and most by name, including Eric, who I talked to about the dragon book I wrote about yesterday. 

Our library also does tons more, I'm sure, that I don't even realize. So, this is my plug. If you haven't been to your public library recently, go. If you haven't thanked a librarian recently, do so.  Libraries are awesome and we need these institutions to stay and make sure our communities can be the best they can possibly be.

(Spurred by stumbling upon the ALA's State of America's Library report for 2021.)

10 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to calculate the value that I've received from libraries in my lifetime. In addition to all of the above points YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO PHYSICALLY GO TO THE LIBRARY TO USE THE LIBRARY!!! I would encourage everyone to start by going to their library's website to see all of the online resources. And yes, go there in person as well;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your library calculates how much you've saved by using the library! Mine does not do this but I wish they did! I've been a library user for a long time, but I have REALLY upped my usage as Paul has gotten older. I mean right now we have 34 books checked out, 9 that I will pick up today, and 14 that are in transit! In the last 2 years, we've checked out 441 books!! That is pretty amazing. I pretty much always check out around 20 books at a time when I'm at the library. I always have 1-4 books checked out for myself, almost always ebooks since that is the easiest way to read in this stage of life.

    Since I'm such a big user of the library and have the ability to donate, that is something we've focused on in recent years. I get the nicest calls when I make a donation. Last week was library appreciation week and they called me to thank me for submitting a thank you online. I hope that I get to know our librarians now that we are in the library almost weekly. And some day when I'm in a less demanding stage of parentings, I would like to try to get on the board for the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Libraries are amazing community resources! I get so much out of our library, and I really only use it to check out books (physical, e- and audio-). The last time I was at our library, they had a SEED LIBRARY, and you were allowed to “check out” (i.e. take) packets of seeds for a wide variety of healthful vegetables. How cool is that?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our library had my SiL for a writer’s talk on Tuesday, and she will talk a another nearby library tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my library, it feels like I'm there all the time. I don't use all the resources they offer, but libraries are just the greatest! I am so happy that ours is utilized a lot by so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry if you get a repeat comment. My power was out all day and I tried to comment from my phone but that didn't seem to work quite right.
    I LOVE libraries. I go to our local library every single week. I know all the librarians and consider it one of my favourite places to visit.
    Of all the highlights my absolute favourite is the fact that when I walk in the door, before even saying hello, the librarians turn to the holds shelf and grab my stack. Also, the fact that even though patron holds are organized by last names, I always have such a big stack they put mine out of order on a bottom shelf. Somehow this just gives me such a thrill!
    Love libraries. And I wish everyone would support/donate/visit/and generally love their local libraries. Not only for being such wonderful public spaces, but for the fact - as you so rightly highlight - the many services they provide, especially to people who might not be able to find such a safe and welcoming spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I love my library! It's amazing to me that I can sit at home on my computer, look to see if the library has a book I want, and if they don't I can request a transfer from a different branch. Then I'll get an email telling me my book is ready, and I just waltz in and pick it up. I'll often put books on hold and then forget about them, so it's an exciting surprise when I get that email. When my kids were little we used to go to the library storytime every week, and they would do crafts. I always marveled that it was free! Nowadays I don't do anything other than check out books, but I know they have classes and programs for adults.
    I love how your library is telling you how much you're saving (and I'm guessing that of all the people who use your library, you're the grand prize winner.) I know I'm also saving a lot of money- not as much as you, but a lot over the course of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree the library is so wonderful. I haven't been there much lately, now that the boys are older. We used to go ALL the time. But now they have been checking books out from their school library, and I just don't read fast enough to need to go constantly. When they were little, of course they'd play with the toys and stuff too. It is such a great space. Ours has a great big reading room with a fireplace for the winter, and then a couple of glass window patios where people can hang out to read in the summer. I need to make a point to go there more often!! Such an amazing resource.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the (bad) outlier here. I tend to just buy e-books because it's easy. In my defense, I find that my local system - which I think differs from yours, NGS? - is very difficult to use. And searching on specific things never seems to get me what I want! I guess I just need to spend more time on there to see what I am messing up. That said, I prefer e-books, and there are also always long holds on most of the books I want to read. Patience is, I know, not one of my strong suits.

    But those are just excuses. :) Thanks for the reminder to step up my game and figure this out once and for all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Libraries are awesome and need to be supported. I have used them (in the past) for so many things... I haven't set a foot into an actual library in a few years, but I use their digital system ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete