Thursday, March 24, 2022

Dogs of the Neighborhood

Since I walk Hannah the dog every day, I have gotten to know the dogs in the neighborhood. Here's a brief precis of each one. 

Let me introduce you to my friends!

Phoebe and Petra (The Poodles) - Two adorable white miniature poodles who live next door. They never stop barking, but they're cute. Our neighbors have been trying to train them to STFU, but it seems like a process that will never work, if I'm honest. They're really sweet, actually, just loud.

Luna - Luna is a husky/German shepherd mix who lives a block away. Her person, Gina, has never had a dog before, and I think Luna is quite a handful for her. She's about the same size and build as Hannah, but she has thick white fur and blue eyes and is gorgeous. I try not to let Hannah hang out with Luna because they egg each other on into bad behavior. 

Maggie - Maggie is a cockapoo puppy who is about eight months old. Her person, Kay, used to have another cockapoo who died unexpectedly (and when she was pretty young). Kay used to pick up the former dog and cross the street whenever she saw me and Hannah coming, but she's been more friendly with this new dog. I think it's because she saw Hannah playing nicely with Phoebe and Petra and realized that Hannah's pretty good with smaller dogs.

Lucy and Chucky - Lucy and Chucky live next to Luna. Lucy is a Doberman with bad ACLs and Chucky is an elderly dachshund. Lucy LOVES Hannah and Chucky just wants me to pet him. They are really nice to have in the neighborhood.

Fat Yellow Lab - I don't know this guy's name. He appeared last summer and he was SO FAT. I think he must have been a rescue because his person has been walking him regularly ever since and now he's just Lab fat, not SO FAT. I don't know the person or where they live, but I see them walking a lot.

Coal - Black Lab who is allowed off leash all the time. Hannah desperately wants to play with him, but he's mostly interested in getting pets from people. He's old, sweet, and I sometimes walk by his house just on the off chance he's out so Hannah can hang with a dog.

Skinny old guy - The first neighborhood dog Hannah had an interaction with was this skinny old dog (he's maybe a Saluki - I don't know - he's long-legged and skinny). His owner told me that he's super old and just doesn't GAF about anything. I think he's the most walked dog in the neighborhood. It's rare that I'm out with Hannah that I don't see him.  

Muppet - There's a dog a couple of blocks away that looks like a Muppet. He's really badly behaved (I had to help save Phoebe and Petra the poodles from him once when he got away from his owner), is always barking his fool head off inside the house, and I want to save him and get him training and exercise. 

Poor pitbulls next door - They're not really next door, but next to next door is a rental house with a tiny dog kennel in the yard and they keep their poor pitty out there all the time. He barks at Hannah, but he's wagging his tail and I know he just wants to play with her. If I want to save the Muppet, I am actively attempting to figure out a rescue plan for this guy.  Meanwhile, I've seen the owner with a new puppy pitbull, walking off leash with him in the last couple of weeks. If anyone doesn't need a second dog, it's this guy.

Evil Spaniels - There are two Cavalier King Charles spaniels who live on our block. They are mean.  Real mean. I despise them. Hannah wants to kill them. The day that Dr. BB broke his collarbone, I had to take Hannah for a walk when we got back from the hospital and the spaniels were running all over the place because their fence was unlatched. I basically pleaded for help from a neighbor to hold Hannah's leash while I corralled the dumb spaniels who tried to bite me repeatedly. I eventually got them in their yard and moved on with my life, but they bark and growl and are distinctly unpleasant. 

Dogs on the corner - Past the poodles and across the street there's some folks who I call "the new people," although they moved in not much after us. They don't clear their sidewalks and they have two dogs that I never see because they have a fenced in yard, but they bark at Hannah most days.

Golden retriever across the street - This guy is always jumping up so we can see his little head over the fence. He desperately wants to play with Hannah and I desperately want him to. 

Chihuahua across the street - This tiny little dog never stops barking. Poor thing. He's regularly on a lead outside the door. We actually rarely cross the street, so I don't know if Hannah's ever noticed him (she is remarkably unmoved by other dogs when they're barking), but I feel kind of bad for this neurotic dog who never shuts up.

My best attempt at a neighborhood map. Ha. I'm clearly a genius with graphics.


14 comments:

  1. Aw... now i feel bad for Muppet and the Pitbull! It's funny how how you know all the dogs and their personalities (and most of their names) but I guess that's what happens when you have a dog. It's nice that Hannah has friends in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I knew the dogs BEFORE Hannah. I also know where all the cats live in the neighborhood. I think if you're an animal person, you just keep track unconsciously.

      Delete
  2. You need to write a book @NGS. This is genius. And look - you can do your own illustrations.
    My fav: Fat Yellow Lab. Now just lab fat.
    And - I feel so happy that Hannah has you. It seems like so many dogs don't have someone willing/able to dedicate the necessary time to enriching their doggy lives. So gold stars for being so involved and loving with Hannah.
    Also, that picture of her - the soul eyes. GAH. And I'm not even a "dog person."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah knows she can basically get away with anything if she looks at me with those peepers. Her eyes and ears are excellent tools for sympathy.

      Delete
  3. I can relate! We have a Luna and Evil Spaniels in our neighborhood. One of the Evil Spaniels came after my dog once, but since she's three times his size, all that she had to do was turn around and look at him and he went running back to his yard in record time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes - I'm glad your dog was able to stay strong and in charge! There's another dog in the neighborhood (not mentioned here) who bit Hannah's ear once. She's bigger than the spaniels, but she is so subservient, she'd probably let them attack her if they ever got out of their yard.

      Delete
  4. I just love this. We live on a tiny cul-de-sac and nonetheless have 17 dogs on our street. My daughter knows ALL of them by name. One of our neighbors has been away recently and she brought us a gift, and as she was walking to our house, she told her dog, "Go to Carla's house!" and the dog ran here by herself because she and my daughter are besties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla seems like a great resource for your neighborhood pet owners - I would LOVE a responsible tween/teen nearby to feed our cat if we went away for a weekend or to walk our dog once in a while! She could definitely make it her job if she wanted to.

      Delete
  5. I love your illustration! There are a lot of dogs in your neighborhood! There are not as many on our block, at least not that I know of. Our good friends across the street got a great dane this winter so I'm getting to know her. Then there is an older gentleman that we usually see in the morning when we are getting our kids in the car to go to daycare, so he's witnessed some truly epic tantrums, but he has child/grandchildren so I told my husband that surely he's seen similar or worse behavior. There are a few other dogs further down the block from us but we rarely walk that direction so haven't gotten to know them. Our son is absolutely TERRIFIED of dogs, though. He hasn't been around them much, though. Admittedly I am scared of dogs, too. But I'm fine as long as they are on a leash. Off-leash dogs TERRIFY me. I am sure they can smell my fear, too... but it's pretty rare to see an off-leash dog where we live. I do ok with off-leash dogs that I know, but if I don't know them, my heart starts to race.

    I feel bad for the neglected pit bulls. We had a similar situation in our old house where the people had 2 dogs and would often leave them outside on a leash for hours at a time. One morning it was so cold and they were out for hours so our neighbor went over there and knocked on the door because we were so bothered by how long those poor dogs were outside barking. I was very glad when that couple moved out but I feel bad for those poor dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two nephews and a niece who are scared of dogs. Hannah was so gentle with them the first time she met them that by the end of the encounter, the youngest was grabbing the tennis ball right out of her mouth! Exposure to NICE FRIENDLY dogs is so crucial for little ones, but if you don't have any dogs in your family, it's tough going. And, as someone who loves dogs, just coming upon an unleashed dog IS kind of scary because you just don't know their temperament and they could act erratically!

      Delete
    2. I'm hoping our son will get more comfortable with the neighbor's great dane. She's a beautiful dog and so sweet. But of course she is VERY big so it's going to take some time and exposure. And then Paul needs to get a bit older/more in control of his emotions. My brother has a black lab who is older and so sweet and chill but we don't go over there very often so he hasn't had a chance to warm up to her.

      Delete
  6. Man, I don't even think I knew the dogs around my neighborhood when I had a dog, lol. I am way too antisocial for my own good sometimes. Maybe the problem is that Dutch was v old and set in his ways and did not want to make friends, haha. He did seem to make friends a little more easily when he was younger so I knew some of the dogs by name at other apartments I lived at with him.

    I love reading about your neighborhood dogs and how Hannah interacts with them! So precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, there are a lot of dogs in your neighborhood and you keep track of ALL OF THEM. That's impressive. I guess it's normal though if you have a dog that you pay attention to the dogs around you and who interact with Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you know the names of your neighbors and their dogs. Well, except for Fat Lab and the Evil Cocker Spaniels. :) Also? Those poor dogs next door. How is the plotted rescue going?

    ReplyDelete