Saturday, January 08, 2022

Meet Cute by Helena Hunting

Meet Cute by Helena Hunting is...

(I've been sitting her for five minutes trying to finish this sentence: ...a book? Well, that's descriptive, isn't it?  ...the tale of an incredibly unethical lawyer and her client?  Well, that gives away some of my feelings a bit too early in the thing, doesn't it? ...the story of a woman who owns fan paraphernalia for a guy who treats her badly and continues to fangirl him despite his ill-treatment of her?  Well, again, that's not hiding any feelings I have, is it?  ...the story of a woman taking advantage of a teenager's grief? Oh, boy...)

...the story of Kailyn and Daxton. Daxton was the star of a hugely popular television show and when Kailyn met him on the first day of law school, she gushes all over him before they become law school rivals. Later, Daxton needs Kailyn's help when his parents leave him custody of his teenage sister when they die in a car accident. When Kailyn is supposed to be a neutral third party appointed the sister's legal guardian, the old sparks fly between Kailyn and Daxton.


Interesting characters: Ugh. No. Beyond the unethical nature of their relationship, each of this chapters is told from a different point of view, but each of them has the exact same tone. I couldn't figure out who was the POV unless I looked at the chapter heading. Just not well done at all.  They're each dealing with some emotional turmoil, but all we really hear about is how hot the other one is.  *sigh*  

Believable conflict: I mean, sure? She thinks he did something awful to her in law school and he's oblivious to it because he didn't actually do anything and he's too busy objectifying her to realize that she's upset with him. (I mean, who wouldn't want to be with this guy, right? He's obviously dreamy.)

Emotional tension: No. It was obvious from page one what was going to happen and there wasn't a tremendous amount of buildup. I obviously like something that's a bit more of a slow burn than this one provided.

Happily ever after: They're together at the end. How they're going to make this work without one or both of them being disbarred, I don't know, but guess what? No one talks about that.

I spent a pleasant afternoon on the couch reading this. It's an easy, light read. But the whole premise was so ridiculous as to make me sit there wondering over and over again about what I was reading and if the author had ever actually talked to a lawyer in her whole life. I think I'd like to read more from this author, but this one just didn't hit it out of the park for me.

2 comments:

  1. i just loved every word of this review! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh out loud. Thank you. I shall not be reading it (and I am astonished you finished it, although I guess it WAS quick...:>)

    ReplyDelete