Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jllaluddin

Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin is the story of Ayesha, a modern Muslim woman who works as a teacher and Khaldi, a devout Muslim who works in IT. It's also about the mess that happens when you tell what's supposed to be a small fib, but rolls on into a huge misunderstanding.



Interesting characters: I...guess? I'm writing this as delicately as possible, but if Christian characters talked about their religion as much as these characters talked about their religion, particularly their differing religions tenets, I would not read the book. I thought it was interesting to read about Muslim matchmaking and rishtas and family life in a Muslim community, but I am not the audience for religious romance novel. I do think there is an audience for this, as there is an audience for Christian romance novels and I'm happy to see diversity available for those people.

Believable conflict: Sure, sure. Religious conflict has caused wars and devastation throughout history, why shouldn't it be used to prevent two people from being together?

Emotional tension: Yes. There was tension because we want both of our characters to be happy, I guess. I mean, I don't care what becomes of Khalid because he's terrible, but I do want Ayesha to be happy.  She has so much going on with her new job, her status as old maid, her family interactions, and her secret desire to be a poet. I want her to figure all of it out.

Happily ever after: Sure. That's what's written on the page. Do you really think they can overcome the obstacles in their way? I'll let you ponder my viewpoints on that.  

This is a chaste romance novel told from a unique perspective. I'm not the audience for it, but surely there is a large audience out there who is excited for it. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I've heard about this book but haven't read it. I can see how reading about all the Muslim rituals would be interesting at first, but could get to be a little too much. In the end it sounds like a religious romance novel, and I don't think I'm the audience for it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is really something about the way this author writes the male love interest in her books that is so off-putting! They are just really assholes, and it makes it so hard to root for the love story.

    ReplyDelete