Wednesday, November 10, 2021

From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

 

From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout is YA fantasy romance. We start with an introduction to Poppy, a "Maiden" who is essentially imprisoned by the royalty of the "Ascended" who rule because people are in fear of "Wolven" and "Atlantians."  If you're already lost, don't worry, none of it matters because this book is terrible.  

Interesting characters: No. Just no. 

Let's consider Poppy.  She's essentially stuck in a castle with her only friend (a black servant named Tawny - don't get me started on this) and when she's allowed to leave, she exhibits NO CURIOSITY ABOUT THE WORLD around her. She just starts talking about how the scenery is boring and repetitive, instead of, you know, wondering about the big world outside of her little life. And this is how Poppy is.  She's boring and doesn't question anything (oh, the Ascended don't go out in the sun - how unusual - maybe ask some questions, POPPY) about what her role is as Maiden or what the Ascended are doing with the third children they are kidnapping. Poppy is incurious and that's the biggest insult I can possibly give to someone, real or imagined.

And then there's Hawke, who is our romantic lead. He's an alpha dipshit who insists on calling Poppy a nickname she doesn't like, repeatedly assaults Poppy, and yet, we're supposed to think he's simply swoony. There's questionable consent in sexual contact. There's keeping very important secrets from Poppy. There's improper communication. There's nothing good about Hawke, except that I gather he's quite good looking. I mean, good on him.  

Believable conflict: I mean, I guess. If you buy into this world, the conflict between Poppy and Hawke is real.  But I just don't buy into it. We need more information. Why was Poppy chosen as the Maiden? How did Hawke just suddenly get elevated to her personal guard?  How did I get to the end of the book and know none of these answers?  

Emotional tension: Ha. As if Poppy is smart enough for emotions. There's certainly sexual tension, but I might argue that any young woman who hadn't been allowed contact with men who was suddenly presented with a hot man who was interested in her would undoubtedly also feel attraction to that man. I mean, it's clearly a thing that would happen. But do these two have any real attraction otherwise?  Not really.

Happily ever after: Ha ha ha! This is clearly a part one and the ending was more of Hawke's alpha telling Poppy what to crap than actual happiness. It is part cliffhanger and part bossiness.  Thumbs way down.

This is a beloved novel.  The rating on Goodreads is above a 4.  People love it. Those people do not include me. 

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I like how you have no problem whatsoever with giving a book a terrible review! At least this is one I won't have to add to my TBR- every time I read a good book review I feel the need to read it, and my TBR list is way out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying laughing at this. Thank you for the honest review - I much prefer this approach to sugarcoating it! If you didn't like it, just tell me that! :)

    ReplyDelete