Friday, June 12, 2020

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center



Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center was a hot commodity on my library's ebook waiting list. I placed a hold for it on March 18 and received a copy in late May. I read it and it was fine and I enjoyed reading it, but I honestly didn't get the fuss because when I tried to remember anything to write about two days later, I couldn't.

Cassie is a firefighter who must leave her beloved Austin station to move to a Boston station so she can be closer to her mother who is ill.  Cassie is a bitter Betty who has had some trauma in her past, so she doesn't date, doesn't initiate physical contact with anyone, and spends most of her life trying to be the best firefighter she can. That means working out constantly to be in the best shape she can so she can compete with her male colleagues, taking the hazing and razzing that comes with being a profession with a bunch of men, and studying so that she knows exactly what to do in an emergency situation.

And then there's a guy.

It's a pretty standard romance novel. It's certainly competently written and I enjoyed reading it.

It's not at all memorable, though.  The characters didn't stand out (I can't even honestly remember the guy's name), the trauma Cassie suffered isn't explored in a particularly adept manner, and the plot was relatively predictable from the minute she arrived in Boston. 

I would definitely recommend this novel, but you're probably not going add to your list of favorite novels any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment