Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Eleven Months with Hannah



Hannah has been quite the helper for me during our strange social distancing times.  I think I would really struggle to get out of bed most mornings if it weren't for knowing that Hannah needs me to let her out. I would probably really just stay inside the house all the time because outside is scary, but Hannah needs to be walked and she'd really prefer it if I took her to the dog park, you know what I mean?

I used to feel terrible that Hannah didn't have dog friends at home, but her recent behavior at the dog park tells me she's just fine with the amount of canine socialization we give her. She's very happy to go to daycare once a week.  At the dog park, she regularly just greets other dogs and then goes on her merry little way, sniffing and sniffing and sniffing. She's friendly and if another dog really wants to wrestle, she absolutely will, but she's happy enough on her own. I have a lot less guilt about only having Zelda the Cat as a companion for her.


The above is a photo that Hannah's daycare sent us.  She's playing with her friend Cooper and clearly is insane.  I love that about her.  She's generally a sweet soul with a kind disposition, but when she plays with her dog friends, she loves nothing more than wrestle around, snarling and looking a bit vicious. 


When I sit down to work at the dining room table, Hannah frequently plops down next to me and looks at me with her big eyes open in an expectant look. Why won't you play with me? This works more often than I should probably admit. Who wouldn't throw the ball for that face? 
 

If I had to list Hannah's dislikes, I'd probably start with things like people running or riding bikes, revving engine noises, people holding/throwing sticks, and the when the cat sits on the windowsill above her favorite dog bed. But she also really hates water. She does NOT like getting bathed and we generally pay a professional to deal with the look of utter devastation on her face when she is wet.  But it's hard to get grooming appointments these days and it's only $10 to take her over to the dog wash (it's behind our local car wash) versus $30 for a grooming appointment. On Tuesdays when she gets home from daycare, she's generally filthy and greasy, so it's become a bit of a regular thing for me to pick her up and then immediately take her to get a bath.  She hates it. She hates the water. She hates the dryer. She hates when water gets in her giant ears. 

She doesn't hold a grudge, though, because she does love getting dried off!
This was actually after we came in from a walk in the rain, but she loves the part AFTER the bath and I love how much she loves to get toweled off. She leans into the towels and sometimes playfully nips at them. It's so adorable and puppy-like.

And that's it for this month. We (fingers crossed) haven't had any emergency vet trips and she continues to be smart and obedient. She still rarely barks, although when she does, it's a very menacing sound. She's so much fun to have around and I can't wait until next month when we can celebrate a whole year of crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment