Monday, August 26, 2019

Warcross by Marie Lu

War Cross by Marie Lu was sold to me as Ready Player One, but with a female protagonist. I, for my part, think Ready Player One is a fun romp. I know there are some critics, but that book has fun world development and a propulsive plot.  War Cross has neither.
I got a copy from the library and my copy had the above cover on it. You see those four words on the bottom of the cover? They literally tell you the entire plot. I am the kind of person who doesn't want to know what a book is about before they get started. I was so bitter that I knew the "twist" at the end of the book because it was on the stupid cover.

Okay, but beyond bad book design, the book was just...not good. The character Emika was so. boring. and. perfect.  She's an orphan and the author valiantly tried to make us care about her parents, but, frankly, the author didn't succeed. A few flashback scenes in which her father abuses/neglects her are not going to endear him to me. Emika's a great hacker with rainbow hair. That's basically what we know about her. There's no scene like where Wade openly grieves for the neighbor lady who showed him kindnesses in Ready Player One. There's no scene in which we learn how Emika developed her hacking skills. There's nothing. Just a girl with a chip on her shoulder who seems to be good at everything that is thrown her way.

And there's a dumb romance plotline. Instead of focusing on being part of a giant event that everyone in the world watches, she's busy dreaming about the dreamy guy (who is also very boring). 

I am so mad at this book. I had such high hopes and all it did was let me down. Never again, Marie Lu. You've lost all credibility with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment