Tuesday, April 09, 2019

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

April's book club book was The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin. In 1969, four bored siblings in New York seek out a fortune teller who tells them the dates of their deaths.  Then we follow their stories.  I would never have read this book on my own, but I did enjoy most of it. 

I don't want to give anything away in terms of plot, but I will say that it's roughly divided into four parts, each focused on a different sibling. I think the book started off quite strongly and the first story line, focused on the youngest, was the most compelling and the one I keep going back to over and over again in my head.  By the time we got to the last sibling, I was sort of over the framing device and I felt a great deal of distance from the character, but I think that was a purposeful choice that the author made, sort of demonstrating how far removed from the other siblings this sibling was.

The themes of choice and predetermination were a fascinating subject at book club. Just the premise itself (would you want to know the date of your death?) was fodder for us to cover for quite some time.  I also really enjoyed the different family dynamics. I only have one sister, but even within our small family there's different relationships between each member of the family and I can't even imagine a family with four kids. I also liked how the relationships changed over time. I read a lot of novels in which it's clear that two characters are close in childhood and when you switch to adulthood, that relationship is essentially unchanged. Maybe that does happen in real life, but not nearly as often as a fluid relationship, I think.

Anyway, it's not a perfect book, but I did enjoy it, especially the first half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment