Monday, July 30, 2018

2018 CSA Week #8

It's a real summer basket here.

Eggplant (x2)
Lettuce
Green beans
Carrots (x4)
Tomato
Cucumbers (x2)
Onions (x3)
Garlic
Fennel
Kale
Papicha (a Mexican herb)
We were out of town last weekend, so I literally picked up the CSA on Thursday evening (after a DAY - our car's battery was acting up and I was stranded at a parking garage in Madison until a friend came and jumped it and then I had to have a perfect stranger jump me at a gas station and then the porch people came out and we were really annoyed with them about things, and then I had to rush over to get the vegetables) and then we left. I didn't think about them at all.

Sunday we got back and I had to work in the morning and I was hosting book club that evening, so I was racing around cleaning and cooking and I honestly haven't thought much about this basket. 
1) I used the tomato and half a cucumber in a corn salad I made for book club.I also used a tiny bit of that papicha. It was a hit and a lot of people went back for seconds.
2) I will eat the other cucumbers and the green beans raw for lunch. The lettuce will also probably get used for lunches, although I'm pretty much at my wit's end with lettuce.
3) Tomorrow I'll go to the Farmers' Market in a nearby town and buy more eggplant so I can make baba ganoush. It's not quite enough eggplant there.
4) The carrots are not great. I ate one in lunch on Sunday and it tasted kind of earthy, so I might hold on to those until we get more (as we inevitable will) and then make a carrot soup.
5) We'll make a fennel chicken rice thing in the slow cooker for dinner. It will use a fraction of an onion, as well.
6) The onions and garlic will...just sit in our fridge until I throw them away.  I'm just being honest here.
7) We used the kale in a frittata that was our dinner last night and will be our dinner tonight.

And that's it. I'm struggling a bit to keep up in case you can't tell.  But I shall persevere because we aren't even halfway through the season yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment