Monday, July 23, 2018

2018 CSA Week #7

Last week, I was on vacation, so someone else got the basket.  This also gave me quite a clean slate. I basically cleaned out the fridge and the only things remaining from previous week's baskets are beets and garlic scapes. On to this week.  We have a basket that represents the height of the summer season to me.

Heirloom tomatoes (2)
Cherry tomatoes
Green beans
Cucumbers (2)
Beets
Fennel
Lettuce
Sweet onions (2)
Cilantro (which, as you know, tastes like soap, so I actually just shoved it into someone else's basket because there's no reason for me to ever bring it home)

1) I'm just going to eat those tomatoes raw like the sweet treats they are.
2) The lettuce will be eaten in salads for lunch, probably with the cucumbers and green beans.
3) We're making a chicken fennel rice dish in the slow cooker that will use the fennel and one of the onions.  This dish is super easy (1.5 cups of soaked and rinsed brown rice, 1-3 fennel bulbs cut into wedges, 1 small diced onion, 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 2.5 cups of chicken broth, and 1.5 - 1.75 pounds of chicken thighs cooked in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low) and delicious. We make it almost every time we get fennel in the basket.
4) The beets will go in the fridge with beets from two weeks ago. I know I posted a recipe of what to do with them, but I haven't done it yet. It just seems like a lot of work for something I probably won't like. Ha!  I'll do it soon.
5) If there are any green beans left, I'll eat them raw as a snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment