Monday, July 09, 2018

2018 CSA Week #5

This feels like a real summer basket.

Garlic scapes
Basil
Beets
Radishes
Two cucumbers
One zucchini
One kohlrabi
Snap peas
Cabbage

I have scapes coming out of my nose and I don't know what to do with them, but I keep using one or two a week and at that rate, I'll end up throwing these out by the end of the month.  I'll do my best.

1) Eating raw: Cucumbers, radishes, kholrabi, snap peas. I'll be surprised if any are actually left by the time this post gets published.  These are my snacks during the summer and the peas, in particular, are SO GOOD.
2) Frittata: We'll the greens from the kohlrabi and beets to make a frittata. If I'm feeling frisky, I might put a garlic scape in there, too.
3) Slaw: I'll use that cabbage and make a slaw I'm pretty fond of. It involves cabbage and other crunchy veggies (maybe some of the kohlrabi) and then a dressing of lemon and maple syrup. It's delightful. Hey, I can use a scape there, too.
4) Pesto: I'm going to take that basil and a garlic scape and make some pesto. Maybe. Or I might run out of time and throw out the basil, which is what happened last time.
5) Beets: We really struggle with beets. No one here likes them. But! I'm determined. Every year I try them at least once before I start to give them away with reckless abandon. 

Our farmers sent us the following recipe (adapted from Almost Turkish) and I'm going to try it.
3-4 medium size beets
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (red wine, apple, etc)
3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced

Beets stain, so be ready for that - Scrub the beets well and then boil them whole for about 30-40 minutes, until fork tender. Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid. When slightly cooled, slip the skin off and trim the roots and remaining stalks. Cube, slice, or quarter the beets and then layer them with garlic within a pint jar. Make a quick brine by stirring the sugar and salt into the vinegar until dissolved. Then pour the brine over the beets, finishing off with the reserved cooking liquid to fill the jar and submerge the veggies. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least a couple days until pickled.  


You know what's really great about this?  It uses more scapes!


1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't know what to do with beets, either. My husband likes borscht, but I do not. And it sounds too complicated.

    Only one zucchini! I feel like we are about to have zucchini coming out our eyeballs -- my single zucchini plant has a billion flowers. And I LOVE zucchini. But I can only eat so much at once.

    ReplyDelete