Friday, June 08, 2018

Podcast Roundup Week #23

This was a big week for me. I drove to my sister's house and back and just listened to podcasts the entire time. Not to mention that my second job has me driving all over southeastern Wisconsin now that I'm back home, so the number of podcast episodes I listened to this week is an astonishing 59.


I just discovered the podcast Order 9066 and I'm absolutely riveted by it. In 1942 FDR signed executive order 9066, forcing the incarceration of over 100,000 people of Japanese descent after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.  Most of the people incarcerated were American citizens.  This podcast tells firsthand accounts of life in camp and the consequences of the war and imprisonment. It's truly chilling to listen to in 2018.  I'd like to point out to a particular episode, but they're all so memorable (you can skip the ones with the music).  I highly recommend this if you're into oral histories or just American history in general.


Another new podcast I've stumbled upon is Swindled. In this podcast, an anonymous host who goes by "A Concerned Citizen," walks us through white-collar crimes in the history of the United States. I'm not actually sure how seriously to take this guy because he's very into his "Concerned Citizen" status, but I think the storytelling is really good.  The second episode is called "The Horse Queen" and it talks about how a city manager stole millions of dollars from a town called Dixon, Illinois.  I was so excited because Dixon is our rest area when we're driving to Dr. BB's dad's house. It's a landmark for us and it was really interesting to learn more about it.  I like this podcast, but I do find the narrator's anonymous schtick a tiny bit annoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment