Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Flooding the Streets: My Commute with Bad Maps in I Drew in Paint

When we first moved into our house, I timed our commute from door to door, from our house to school.  It was 12 minutes. I thought this was amazing.

I failed to consider how rarely I'd be able to make this commute, however.
This is the ideal route. We take our street to a small "rustic river road" and that connects us to a county road that takes us right to school. This takes 12-13 minutes and is a lovely drive.  However, that "rustic river road" is also flooded by River #2 for about 25% of the year, including right now.  It's also slightly dangerous in the winter because it's impossible to keep the road clear because of drifting, so I'd say we can safely take these roads for 6-8 months of the year.


The second route is basically just going the other direction from one major county road to another. This was is slightly longer (more like 15 minutes) and super boring, but it's an acceptable way.  This is not an option right now because there is construction on County Road #1 that makes way impossible to pass. This construction is expected to continue through until the fall.
So now we're left with this way, which combines routes 1 and 2. I start like I'm just going to do Route #3, but halfway down the boring County Road #1, I turn on yet another county road (#3) and then that intersects with the country road from Route #1 and it takes me right into school. This takes roughly 16 minutes and would be ideal for right now if I didn't always forget to take that stupid turn on to County Road #3.



This way doesn't even show up on Google maps BECAUSE IT TAKES MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  Argh.

This is my life, my friends. Stupid construction and flooding. It's adding MINUTES to my commute. And don't even get me started on the way I have to go to ride my bike to school. It's ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment