Wednesday, April 25, 2018

True Crime All the Time

You guys. I just wrote about I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara and today a man was arrested who is suspected to be the East Area Rapist, the subject of her book!!!  If you had asked me yesterday, I would have told you that this was one of the top five true crime cases that I really wanted to know the answer to, but probably would never have the answer to*.  I'm so happy for the victims now that they can have answers and maybe some closure, although I imagine closure will not be found for many of them who have suffered for decades.

Earlier this week, an arrest was made in the presumed murders of Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman, another case that frequently makes the rounds in true crime circles.  I hope the Bible family gets resolution and that the suspect will eventually tell them where the bodies are.

I celebrate these as victories because nobody wants victims to go around not having answers.

But are we entering an age when the largest mystery will be what happened to that other black sock when I did laundry?  Are video, DNA, and other changes in technology going to make it so that everyone is monitored all the time?  Will there be no endless debates in Reddit threads about where people went or what they did? Is that good? Is that bad?

I worry that the romance of life will be lost. 

But I also am so happy that these cases are being closed.


*Other cases on that list:
1) Who really killed JonBenet Ramsey?  I can easily be swayed to the parents, the brother, the neighbors, or an intruder. We're never going to know.
2) The Delphi murders - One of those girls took a photo and a recording of the presumed murderer and yet it's still unsolved.
3) Who killed Missy Bevers?  Brazenly ignoring the video cameras, the killer wanders around a church rather casually.  There's video of the killer. The catch? The killer is dressed in police gear from head to foot. Officials can't determine anything about the killer - is it a man or a woman? How tall is he or she? 
4) The Lane Bryant killings - It took place in a mall ten years ago, but it doesn't seem like law enforcement is any closer to finding the murderer than they were then.

No comments:

Post a Comment