Monday, March 05, 2018

Cage Match: New Diet Coke Flavors

Four enter the ring...which one will the heart and taste buds of NGS?
My love for Diet Cherry Coke is well known. Hearing the hiss of the can as I open it with dinner is one of the most pleasurable moments for my day.  I was quite worried when I heard that Diet Coke is switching up its flavors (not the original Diet Coke, though), but I've been reassured that, at least for the time being, I can still access Diet Cherry Coke online.

Our grocery store recently stocked the new flavors, so here's the lowdown.  Obviously, this is just what I think and taste buds are different for everyone, but here's my opinion.

Ginger Lime:  This tastes like watered down Diet Coke. I didn't get even a fleeting hint of ginger or lime in it. The OG Diet Coke with Lime is oodles better.  I didn't even finish the can.

Twisted Mango: Have you ever wanted your Diet Coke to be tropical?  I mean, I don't think I ever did, but this is what it would taste like. I'm not sure I got "mango," so much as "papaya/pineapple/coconut/tropical," but if someone handed one of these to me at a party, I'd politely drink it.

Zesty Blood Orange: This tastes like Sunkist and Diet Coke had a baby. I don't hate it. As a matter of fact, if I had to buy one of these four options, this is the one I'd get.

Feisty Cherry: This has the worst aftertaste of any diet soda I've ever had. This was revolting. I was kind of expecting it to taste just cherrier than the stuff I drink every night, but instead it tastes like someone threw battery acid into a Diet Coke and sold it over the counter as if it were safe to consume.  I do not recommend it.

Meanwhile, our local grocery store still has the OG Diet Cherry on the shelves and I'll keep buying it there until I'm forced to Amazon Prime it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment