Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb

Of course I pre-ordered Echoes in Death because I will forever and ever read every In Death novel despite my endless complaining about how Robb has nothing left to say. I mean, I think that's true still, but I will have my Mr. Mira time and that's all there is to that.  Anyway, it popped up on my Kindle last week and I devoured it despite having three library books AND a book club book sitting on my desk that probably should have taken priority over this one.  I can't stop.
This book is a straight procedural. Even I was able to figure out the killer as soon as s(he) was introduced. It was literally the most straightforward of the In Death books yet. Many of my favorite characters weren't present and the futuristic elements that made the world building of the first few books so memorable just aren't there anymore. I don't know if Robb is done with this series, but it certainly seems like she is.

But there is something comforting about sliding into a cozy mystery on a February night. There's a skill in writing something as complex as a mystery in a way that even someone who is only half paying attention can follow along. So there's no great writing, no great actual mystery, but there's a world I just can't bear to leave.  So when Secrets in Death comes out in September, I bet I'll be writing a similar review because I won't be able to stop myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment