Monday, January 09, 2017

Moonglow by Michael Chabon

 Moonglow by Michael Chabon was our January book club pick. I'm going to give a spoiler right away and say I loved it. It's ostensibly the story of the narrator's grandfather's deathbed reminiscences, but there's so much around it. It travels from the streets of Philadelphia to a prison yard to suburban Florida without so much as missing a beat. There's science, family tragedy and secrets, and hilarious one-liners.  And that's without me even getting to how each sentence is a tiny little masterpiece.

Let's say you had a secret. It's a secret that would absolutely change how those around you, including your family, feel about you and maybe how much they trust you. If you told a doctor this secret and the doctor offered to tell your spouse (or not!),  would you want your spouse to know? If you were the spouse, would you want to know?  I mean, ideally I would just want my spouse to tell me any secrets, but I can see why not everyone would want to just blurt out important things. 

Anyway, this book is glorious. I highly recommend it. 

1 comment:

  1. This is on my reading list, but I am so afraid it won't live up to the hype!

    I really like how you said, "each sentence is a tiny little masterpiece." That is a compelling detail for sure.

    ReplyDelete