Friday, October 21, 2016

2016 CSA Week 19: Penultimate Box!

This week's basket is huge. I'm not panicked about it because most of the items are storage vegetables, so if we don't use them this week, it's fine because we can keep using them later. We're nearing the end of the season, so pretty soon we're going to have to actually buy our produce at a grocery store!

Onions
Garlic
Carrots
Sweet potatoes
Daikon radish
Leeks
Lettuce
Green peppers
Cabbage
Sage

  • We're actually going to stockpile the garlic and onions. I did manage to get rid of a giant bag of them when I was in Michigan last weekend, so we don't have an unreasonable number right now.
  • The lettuce is the best we've had in weeks. I don't usually eat lettuce, aside from an occasional leaf in my tacos, but I might make some chicken Caesar salad for lunches over the weekend.
  • I'm going to use the leeks, along with last week's leeks, in a giant pot of potato leek soup.
  • The sweet potatoes won't last long around here. I'm undecided about whether or not I should make a sweet potato casserole or just roast them to eat as dinner sides. We'll see.
  • I'll eat the green peppers and carrots raw with lunches.
  • I still have most of the giant diakon radish from week 17, but they will keep until February or March if needed. I use them mostly in a slaw that I will attempt to make with this cabbage. This is an unusual type of cabbage, so I don't know if it will be successful, but there you have it.  The rest of the daikons (and the remaining beauty heart radishes from last week) will slowly get eaten raw.
  • We have a butternut squash still from week 17 and I think we'll do a squash risotto with sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment