Friday, August 01, 2014

3.1 Detour - Riverfront Park

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the first day of each month is "Detour."
****************************
I cannot exaggerate just how much time I spend at local libraries. I utilize their services more than your average taxpayer and I love, love, love librarians, books, and the awesomeness that is a community space where people come together with the same purpose.  I met a student at the library this morning and there was a line of people waiting to get in when it opened. I love a community that is so eager to get to their books that folks queue up in front of the library doors.
After I met my student (graphing trig functions, can I get a whatwhat?!), but before I drove home, I walked through the area known as "Riverfront Park," a grassy area about fifty feet long and barely twenty feet across, that is right next to the library. Kids were jumping up and down on these sculptures, mothers were screaming at their kids (one mother yelled "why can't you just listen?" in such an exasperated tone I almost went over there and hugged her), and one lone woman was just sitting in the grass reading a book.
If I ever get a tattoo, it will be a book cover (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - a loose version of the cover with the girl wearing polka dot tights reading a book on a ledge) with a two of hearts playing card being used as a bookmark.  Books as art - that's something I can get behind.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment