Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Bullets of Randomness

  • There are many things in this world I do not understand including the popularity of shamrock shakes and Downton Abbey.  For a while in early March, I thought I was going to have to hide away in a hut in rural Switzerland to get away from people gleefully discussing these two things.  Please, if you like either of these things, don't try to explain it to me. I still won't get it.
  • While shopping, I pondered the existence of short-sleeve suit jackets for women.  Who can wear these items and where?  I mean, if I'm just hanging out at home, why bother with a suit jacket at all? And if I'm at work where a suit is required, short-sleeves just aren't going to cut it, right?  So...somebody with more fashion sense than I needs to enlighten me on this one.  (Plus, what's with the transparent shirts at Express these days?  I understand that layering is still cool, but you'd need like four of these shirts to prevent your bra from showing and I just think that's a real budget buster. Plus kinda trampy looking. Fashion people?)
  • Are you familiar with the "restaurant" Culver's?   Its claim to fame is something called a butterburger. I've never had the food, so I can't vouch for the deliciousness or ability to give you food poisoning, but each of the restaurants has these signs outside that lists what can only be the special of the day followed by the special frozen custard flavor of the day.  So as I drive by the one in my town, located right next to the grocery store, so there's no way to avoid it, I read "Reuben Rocky Road" or "BBQ Chicken Butter Pecan" or, my favorite "Roast Beef Chocolate." I throw up in my mouth a little bit each time.
  • Thanks to my lack of mobility in recent months, I have lost a lot of muscle tone. So I've been going to the gym.  In addition to my visits to the gym, I've been trying really hard to get my 10,000 steps walked every day.  It's not as easy as you might think if you're thinking like a normal person who does more than sit on her computer and work from home all day.  So I have to do things like walk all the way around our complex when I go to get the mail. Or walk up and down every aisle, whether I need something in the aisle at Target or not. I don't really have anything else to say about that, but, hey, look! I'm wearing normal shoes!
  • These are my Dansko's.  I wear them because they are adorable.  If you don't agree that they are cutest shoes ever, I don't want to hear about it.  The come in purple and orange now and I totally want one in every color of the rainbow, oh, yes, I do. 
    • Honestly, I don't have enough material for a fifth bullet point, so I leave you with a picture of my kitty doing what my kitty likes to do best, which is lay out in the sun like a sea lion. We might call her a sea lion a lot. Yes, that is a really ugly blue recliner. My husband would like to get rid of it, but I used that thing like mad when I was laid up and we've decided it's completely okay for the cat to use it as a scratching post, so it's still here. Sidenote: I don't hate it as much as he does, but I will agree that maybe I should make a slipcover for it. But then what will the kitty scratch?!

      4 comments:

      1. As if your comment on my post today didn't make my day already... then you go and post a photo of your cat in the sunshine? SO CUTE. (I need a cat so badly.) (There's a neighborhood cat who's been slinking through our yard lately. I had the idea to try and... lure is the wrong word... encourage him to be friendly. But then I discovered that there are baby bunnies in our yard and that's probably why he's hanging around. SIGH. I do not need any dead baby bunnies in my yard.)

        I really loved Downton Abbey and I have NO IDEA why. No idea. It is a buttoned-up British soap opera. And yet I was TRANSFIXED. Perhaps the good folks at PBS have mastered the art of hypnosis?

        As for short sleeved suits... I think they are designed for hot places. At least... that's where I have seen them most often. Like in Florida. Where there is also such a thing as CAPRI SUIT PANTS. I am not making this up.

        ReplyDelete
      2. LOL! I love how you can barely fathom "dress casual." Here in good ol' Ohio, most people choose short-sleeve suit jackets. And yes, I've seen a suit that comes with capri suit pants (with either a matching jacket or a matching vest). I think it's because short-sleeve suit jackets, at least the ones I've seen, appear more tailored these days than long-sleeved ones.

        Long-sleeved ones often look "traditional" or "stuffy." Short-sleeved ones often look "artistic" and "fashionable." It just all depends where you're going. I had a customer who was interviewing for a promotion at the police department, where she had to go before this highly traditional committee. Nothing but a professional, long-sleeved, matched suit would do (and she said a turtle-neck was recommended). If she had been an interior decorator holding a meeting with some clients, short-sleeved with a fashionable camisole would have been better.

        ReplyDelete
      3. I don't like Shamrock Shakes or Downtown Abbey, either.

        I have a short-sleeved suit jacket that I really like, but at first, I felt like a dork wearing it. Its cut is really flattering though, so I've grown to like it. (Now, short-sleeved sweaters? They kind of annoy me. Either it's warm enough to wear short sleeves - period - or it's cold enough to wear a normal sweater.)

        We actually ate at Culver's on Saturday (we tried to eat at CiCi's Pizza, but it had unexpectedly closed, then we went to a nearby restaurant that changed its menu to the point we didn't like a thing on it, and so, in a hunger coma, we finally settled on Culver's). My husband loves their burgers, but I love their fried chicken. And we also laugh about their signage out front. Bacon Cheddar Oreo Cheesecake!

        ReplyDelete
      4. Those are, in fact, the most adorable shoes ever!

        I love love love Danskos!

        ReplyDelete