Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Dear Detroit Lions

Dear Detroit Lions,

I am a loyal fan. When I was growing up, I lived in a house with a devoted Chicago Bears fan (ARGH!) and I rooted for you just to spite my father. But eventually I started to really love you. You are representative of what's right with Detroit City - hardworking men and women who continually get beat down over and over and over again, but get back up again and again and again. Ford Field brings a lift to downtown Dtown, part of the revitalization of a city that desperately needs hope. Roary is one of the best mascots in the NFL, Lions fans are loyal, and ours is a storied franchise that deserves its place in football history.


But you also haven't won an NFL championship since 1957, before they called it the Super Bowl. And you haven't even been in the playoffs since 1999. I've been lugging around my Lions fandom from city to city, hoping against hope that someday someone would need to be the person wearing Honolulu blue in the room at a Sunday Night Football game. You haven't had a winning season since 2000!!! Let us not even talk about the 2008 team that went without a single win. But things started to turn around. Jim Schwartz was hired on as coach and brought some excitement back to Ford Field. Matt Stafford was drafted as quarterback and Calvin Johnson began to show the world why the Lions had drafted him. Cliff Avril brought something to the defense, Schwartz started working on shoring up the offensive line, and we had a team at long last!! I'm not entirely sold on Ndamukong Suh as an addition to our team, but things are starting to look good for us. We currently have a winning record this season!!

The Lions Bear usually doesn't watch television - he hangs out here to the left of the television set.

Please don't let me down. Keep it up. It's too bad we are in the same division as the seemingly unbeatable Green Bay Packers, but I think we will make the playoffs. Please. And if you could beat the Bears again when we play in Chicago in a couple of weeks, I could enjoy another victory this season over the dreaded Bears. And maybe, just maybe, I could brag just a little bit to the man I married who is a Bears fan (ARGH!). 

But now the Lions Bear sits on the recliner to root on his team.

Good luck!  Please do me a solid and keep on winning!!


1 comment:

  1. You may be in the same division as the Packers, but you're also in the same division as the 2011 Vikings, so you've got that going for you!

    I am also rooting for the Lions. I want to see them win it all.

    I've had Calvin Johnson on my fantasy team since week 1, and I think this week I have to keep him and suffer the 0 points he'll get me just because he's gone up so much in value I'd never be able to afford to pick him up again.

    ReplyDelete