Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bethany's Letter

This arrived in our mailbox a little over a week ago. I am sort of in love with this letter.

(click to make the image larger)

Dear Residant, 4-8-2011
Hello my name is Bethany and you do
not know me personally. I am a volunteer
and I wanted to write you since I
am unable to visit you personally.
We are approaching the anniversary
of Jesus Christ's death. With that in mind
I would like to share this thought found
at Romans 6:23, "For the wages sin pays
is death, but the gift God gives is
everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord."
Certainly Jesus death means a lot for us!
I would like to invite you to come
show your appreciation for what Jesus
has done as we commemorate his death
on Sunday April 17th, 2011. This is your
personal invitation, and you will notice
the time and location as well. You and
your family are welcome. Please bring
your copy of the Bible, as we will be
using it. Thank you! I hope to see
you there!
Sincerely,
Bethany R.

P.S. If you would like to
learn more or if you are
interested in having a free
home Bible study please contact me
at: blah, blah, blah


*******************************
Questions:
1) How horrified do you think Bethany would be to learn I don't own a Bible? The boy has several and we refer to them regularly for a variety of reasons, but I don't have one of my very own.

2) What do you think Bethany is like? I imagine her as an agoraphobic 30-something with five cats, wearing too long skirts and thick glasses. It's completely unfair of me, but this is what I do.  What does she do for a living?  Again, with the free rein of my imagination, she works at home as one of those people who scans medical documents into digital form. 

3) I find the letter to be way more effective than if Bethany had stopped by. If she had stopped by, I would have cut her off at the word Jesus. But by sending this letter, I've read it approximately three dozen times and I've shown it to everyone who has crossed our apartment threshold. Now that it's been scanned for permanent safekeeping, I think I'm going to put in on the fridge. Do you suppose that's the reason Bethany was unable to visit us?  I mean, it wouldn't have mattered either way since I decidedly won't be attending, but I've read it.  And smiled while doing so.

4) Who is assigning Bethany addresses?  Did she write one to everyone in our building?  Everyone on the whole block?  That's a lot of people to write to.  Does she pay for the stamps herself?

5) Is Bethany worried about creepy stalker types going to her address?  I blurred it out for her before I published it here, but it's kind of creepy.  I'm kind of tempted to stalk her (what? she lives less than a mile away) so that I can answer the pressing questions about what Bethany looks like.

4 comments:

  1. I love this stuff. See, e.g. http://mayoreric.com/misc/chrisnew.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of love how she hand wrote this letter. Like, not a cut & paste job, but she took some time to do however many of these she did. I am also curious as to what Bethany looks like. I kinda think you should go to the event, see what she looks like quickly, and then "forget" your bible in the car as a way of getting out! I'd totally go with you, if it wasn't a wee bit of a commute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should send her a hand-written letter about your religious beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that she hand wrote it. It's also cool that the letter isn't full of Christian buzz-words. I'm moving to a new area and will be looking for a church, if I got a letter like that, I'd be really intrigued to check it out.

    ReplyDelete