Thursday, July 22, 2010

McQuestion, Rallison, and Stewart Meet in a Bar...

Life on Hold and Favorite by Karen McQuestion - McQuestion is one of Amazon's authors. These are two young adult novels produced exclusively for the Kindle. They are relatively inexpensive, $2.99 per book, and came to my attention when I did a search for Sarah Dessen. Both books were okay, good enough to keep my mind off the agonizing pain (another day, another explanation, another reason to want this summer to be over and done) while I sat in the ER waiting room. I don't think McQuestion is as good as Dessen - the characters aren't quite as memorable and I don't feel like I should reread either of these books - but I hope that someday McQuestion's name is mentioned when discussing popular YA authors.

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison - This book starts with the clever premise that a fairy godmother is only mediocre at her job and this leads to various interesting and hilarious unforeseen consequences for the person whose wishes are being granted. I was amused.

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart - This novel is not my usual style. First, with its copyright of 1958, it's a little bit less contemporary than what I normally read. Second, while the novel is a romance and mystery, it's also much less procedural than what I normally read. It took me a chapter or two to get into the rhythm of the writing, the delightful way Stewart puts together words in exactly the opposite way I would, but in a way that slides off the page into your heart. Brilliant.

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers - This is the a slightly more adult version of the Blubber story told by Judy Blume all those years ago. Girl who is a bully ends up getting bullied. I found the main character almost despicable at times, but Summers did an interesting thing by convincing me that somehow I cared about her, notably by making two of her previous victims care about her. Regina is a complicated character and our feelings about her should be conflicted, but, in the end, it's a haunting book about bullying, yes, but also regret and selfishness. Definitely a read worth reading.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read so much! I'm impressed.

    I'm currently reading "Biblical Parenting" (passed on to me by a friend) and "Our Babies, Ourselves." The next two books on my list will likely be "Last Child in the Woods" and "Do Hard Things."

    I'm also reading The Boxcar Children to my 3-year-old! :)

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Neighbor, I'm in MN too!! Love meeting fellow bloggers from the area! Great little blog you got here.

    xo

    ReplyDelete