Monday, April 05, 2010

To Spend or Not to Spend

Spending Moratorium Update:

One trip to Old Navy where I splurged and purchased three skirts to be worn for the next five months pretty much all the time. (They cost $45 and I immediately paid and put $45 dollars in my savings account, too.)

One trip to Barnes and Noble to buy two children's books, promised as a present before the moratorium was enacted. So I did buy the two books (go Anna Dewdney!), but my Barnes and Noble membership was about to expire, so I also paid to renew it. I will definitely use the membership since I buy almost all of my gifts for small children in the form of books and it is cheaper to renew membership before it expires rather than pay in full later on, but it was a purchase that wasn't really in the spirit of the moratorium.

One weak-willed moment where I convinced myself that downloading four songs was not breaking the moratorium because music wasn't on my original list. The songs were "Regular Joe" by Ashton Shepherd, "Little Red Balloon" by Kristina Cornell, "What I'd Say" by Earl Thomas Conley, and "I'll Pray for You" by Jaron and the Long Road to Love, which is quite possibly the worst band name in the history of band names. I deeply regret the purchase of the first two songs, but the second two have quickly turned into two of the most played songs on my media player.

Another weak-willed moment where I stopped by Baby Gap and got a gift card for someone. I can't help it. I'm weak. I didn't want my friend to go without a Baby Gap splurge.

And. That's it. I did get gas an oil change, and new brakes (egads!) for my truck last week. However, car maintenance and repair seem like a good use of the money I've been saving.

However, there are still ten days left in the moratorium and I only have six postage stamps left. I know that for most people that would be okay, but I'm having some issues here, people. I think I may have to convince BB that it's his turn to buy stamps for once...but I'm not sure if he'll actually fall for that.


***************************
A brief issue of Overheard in Suburban High School:

Context: I am suffering from an annoying stiff neck.
Student: What's with Ms. NGS? Is she auditioning for the role of Frankenstein?

Teacher next door: What's a platitude?
Student: A platypus with an attitude.

1 comment:

  1. You are so much stronger than I am! I have a set spending limit per paycheck (every 2 weeks) that is my guilt-free money. I've been really good about not going over it, and I think the pride in keeping to that limit is all that's held me back for the last year.

    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete