Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Eating Out with Dietary Restrictions

When we had my sister- and brother-in-law over for the awesomeness that was the Holidazzle Parade, we thought it would be a great idea if we went to the parade and then went to grab a bite to eat. And, in a world where everything worked the way I wanted it to work, it would be just fine.

But, see, in case I haven't mentioned it approximately eighty million gazillion times, my husband has some pain in the ass dietary restrictions. When we eat at home, it's not a pain in the ass. We just deal with it in the menu planning and we know 1) the ingredients are all 100% safe, 2) the tools of our kitchen are 100% safe, and 3) there will be NO cross contamination of glutenous products in our kitchen. I keep a bread basket on top of the fridge for my mini bagels, I have my own peanut butter clearly marked with my name on it, and I have my own toaster. But when we eat out, it's a different story. Who the hell knows what's going on in the kitchen? You could have toast made on the same griddle as eggs and my husband will be sick for the next 36 hours.

Anyway, after Holidazzle, we went to one of our old standbys - a place on the edge of downtown known for it's mashed potatoes and balcony. But, of course, it was closed for a private holiday party. Plan B: Go to Uptown to another favorite restaurant where we know that there's at least one safe meal for the boy. Only, it turns out that this restaurant no longer exists and there's a new one to replace it. Plan C: Go to the so-so gluten-free place in our neighborhood. Before we drive over there, we google it on BB's cell phone to find that it, too, has closed. Maybe because its clientele was so limited. Maybe because it was so-s0.

Plan D: My in laws get Jimmy Johns (we're all pretty hungry at this point) and BB and I go home and make something in our kitchen.

Here's the thing: it's awful to be THAT person at the restaurant. But it's more awful for my husband to get sick.

And each time we eat at a new place, I handle it wrongly. I take charge and make BB seem like a kid who can't handle it himself. I make BB uncomfortable by pointing out all the potential sources of contamination. I make BB mad by saying the wrong thing to the waitress. It's a marriage tester every damn time. So now I hate eating out and I avoid it at all costs. It's a little thing and I know we save so much money by eating at home, but if I ever come visit you? Just know that eating out? It's not all that's cracked up to be for us. We'd rather make something in your kitchen, I pinky swear.

So we don't eat out. We now have two places we are comfortable with eating in the Twin Cities. It's a big area, but we just can't do it. It's too hard and it makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.

So that's our Achilles heel. We have a strong marriage that should never be tested by entering a restaurant. I often wonder what is the weak point for other marriages. Laundry? Sex? Dishes? Carpool? And then I remember that ours is not so bad.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you; that is tough.

    My husband doesn't have dietary issues per se, but physically cannot eat any vegetables (besides potatoes and tomato sauce [without chunks[) without getting nauseous.

    So if there's a stray lettuce piece on his taco, or the pizza sauce is too chunky, it's an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have significant dietary issues and this is what I do when I eat out.

    1. Go local - a chef owner of a smaller local place is more likely to help you out.

    2. Call ahead - during the afternoon when it is quiet. I speak to the manager and let him or her know the issue. Then I offer to email my dietary needs so that the manager does not have to write it all down. I ask the manager to meet with the chef and see if we can be accomodated.

    3. If the kitchen can not accomodate my needs I offer to bring my own food and pay a plating fee. Now most of the time health regulations prohibit the bringing in of OPEN outside foods, but I have found that many places are willing to open a can of soup for me. I bring in the soup, they dump it in a bowl and microwave it and bring it to the table. In exchange I happily pay a plating fee equal to one of their less expensive entrees. By doing this I get the food I need to eat, which is safe for me, and the resturant still makes a nice profit for accomodating my needs and letting me take up space.

    My local place knows me know and when I call to say I am coming in they say no worries and the chef sends someone to the grocery store for the brand of low sodium, vegan soup I used to bring in myself! Now THAT is service!

    I find that communication is the key. If a resturant is not willing to accomodate my needs in either of these ways I will find another place to eat. If I am not the one making the plans, and I don't have a choice I will eat before I go and have water while others eat. If people ask why I am not eating, including staff, I don't hesitate to say that the resturant was unwilling to accomodate me. Truth is most would rather make $10 for heating up a can of soup than have me sit there drinking water for free!

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete