Monday, July 02, 2007

An Auspicious Start?

Biker Boy and I are going to move in together next month. I am super excited for several reasons. 1) I won't be driving back and forth across town every single day. Biker Boy will be conveniently located in my apartment. 2) I get (imagine how decadent this seems to me) more than a single shelf in a side-by-side fridge and more than a single cabinet in which to store all my food. 3) No roommates inviting strange folks into the house without letting me know about it. 4) A white bathroom (for those of you who don't actually know this about me - non-white bathrooms are horrible - how on earth do you do make-up if you don't have white? - this is a serious bone of contention between me and the landlords who painted our originally white bathroom brown - WTF?). 5) Did I mention that Biker Boy will be conveniently located?

Okay, so early last month we briefly looked for August 1st openings on a couple of web sites. We struck out, so decided we'd look this month. And we did. But there aren't that many places available. Damn it. So we made an appointment for what seemed like a dream come true place. It was on the low end of our price, in a great location re: bike paths and public transit, and allowed cats. But we get there and it was carpeted, had a bathroom with pink tiles (did I mention that a white bathroom is a necessity for me?), was garden level, smelled like cigarette smoke, had the tiniest of bedrooms, and had a family of raccoons in the tree right outside the window. The woman showing us the apartment acted as if the raccoons were a selling point, "which I think is just lovely." BB started chuckling at this point. Between the pink bathroom and raccoons, I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could. (Remember how I saved Biker Boy from the rabid raccoons? You'll note that Biker boy was simply my "friend" in that post. We weren't even dating yet!!)

I don't think we'll be calling that lady again for an application.

We have appointments with three more places and about a billion phone calls out. Please, gods of Minneapolis apartments, get us an awesome place!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sending you all good home-finding prayers to the gods of Minneapolis real estate (Aphro-uptown-ie?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/04/2007

    You have our best wishes on both the apartment-hunting and upcoming nuptials!

    ReplyDelete