Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Boss

It has occurred to me recently that you can tell a lot about a person's character by their favorite Bruce Springsteen song. I have been listening to quite a lot of Springsteen's Greatest Hits album, so here are my thoughts.

"Born to Run" - A person who feels trapped and is unable to do much about their circumstances likes this song. Or else someone who just likes songs with incomprehensible words and likes to sing along with the chorus.

"Atlantic City" - I don't know about this one so much. But if you can tell me who the chicken man is, I'd be appreciative.

"Born in the USA" - This is too easy. If you like this one, you either pick it because it makes you laugh at presidential hopefuls who don't actually listen to song lyrics or you yourself are too silly to listen to the actual lyrics. Also, I had a friend who once told me the song seems incomplete to her - there are spaces where it seems like lyrics are missing. Ever since I have been told this, I get mad at these spaces in the music.

"My Hometown" - Sentimental at heart.

"Glory Days" - Bitter feelings about high school still follow you around.

"Thunder Road" - You are a cool, cool, cool person.

"Hungry Heart" - I hate this song. It is the only one that I actually can't listen to on the album. I think it just upsets me that Bruce Springsteen tried to write and perform a pop song. If this is your favorite, you really just have bad taste in music.

"Human Touch" - Get laid now.

"Better Days" - An optimist who has been through a lot in life.

"Streets of Philadelphia" - Suicidal.

My favorite Boss song is "The River." What that says about me, I am not sure. But I love the details in the song. "I can see her riding in my brother's car/Her body tan and wet down at the reservoir/At night I'd lie awake just feel each breath she'd take." You can picture it, right down to the car along the open road, driving away with the water behind them.

4 comments:

  1. What about "I'm on Fire?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant choose between The River and Atlantic City. I also really like Murder Inc. And the whole new album of Seeger covers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm on Fire" is kind of creepy to me. Bruce seems a little too edgy for me in this song. If it's your favorite, I think you probably need to seek some counseling for your sexual deviance problems. Or that you like creepy men. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/23/2006

    Strangely, I thought "hmm, what about 'I'm on Fire'?" and then opened up the comments, and there was Natalie. And then there was your cheeky answer.

    Got a bad desire.... :)

    ReplyDelete