Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit


I have two strongly opposing feelings on the classic children's book The Railway Children by E. Nesbit.

On one hand, I can totally see how I would have loved this when I was a new reader. Three siblings go on adventures together, always ending up in the loving arms of their mother. They make friends, they save lives, they solve mysteries, and they do it all together. The importance of family, friendship, and community are powerful in this novel.  It was exciting and it was never clear to me what exactly would happen on the next page.

On the other hand, I am an adult. Who the hell is watching these kids? Why aren't they going to school?  I also am not a big fan that the solution to a bunch of their problems is that an old capitalist with lots of money swoops in and saves them. It's a bit too much of an ode to a problematic form of economy that has left these children in such a state that they are forced to steal coal for me to really get on board with this solution.

So I guess I'm left with the third law of library science - every book its reader. This is not the book for me; I don't think most adults would find it enjoyable. But guess what? It's probably the book for some child out there. And that child should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment