Saturday, May 23, 2015

12.23 Writing - Code

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-third day of each month is "Writing."
****************************
One of the podcasts in my regular rotation is A Way with Words, a show about language, word usage and history, wordplay, and the general oddities of how we communicate.  I don't always agree with the hosts' philosophy on language because I'm much more of a stickler than they tend to be, but, in general, I love that they accept neologisms as part of an ever expanding and evolving language and that they are so excited by regional variations and dialects. It's not necessarily a podcast for everyone, but if you love words, idioms, and the impact of language on culture, it's totally fascinating.

Some of my favorite segments on the show include terminology used at the workplace.  Usually folks in fields like business, law enforcement, and education call in, but I want people in construction to call in more often.  I know they have interesting turns of phrases that they use and I want to know them.

For example, what is with all the codes that are written all over the sidewalks in our town?
I'll admit I still think C3PO when I walk by this one.
***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit To Quit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment