Saturday, March 21, 2015

10.21 Laughter - Because Cheetahs Sounds Like Cheaters

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-first day of each month is "Laughter."
***************************
I should probably write about the laughter of small children at our youngest niece's first birthday party.  But the birthday girl had just come back from the Urgent Care with double ear infections and the other nine kids were in various stages of cold, flu, fungal infection, or just plain orneriness. We heard lots of scolding, lots of parents muttering threats and dire warnings under their breath, and Great-Grandpa repeatedly asking Great-Grandma when they could leave "the madness." Man, do I feel you, Great-Grandpa. We did not hear so much of the laughter.

I did laugh when, during the ceremonial opening of the presents, it turned out that my favorite sister-in-law had purchased a sparkly rabbit shirt for my niece.  I whispered to my favorite sister-in-law that it wasn't in especially great form to buy the child a creepy bunny (I have a huge antipathy towards rabbits that goes back to college) and my niece, THE TRAITOR, who until this point had shown no interest in any present at all, reached for the creepy bunny shirt and refused to let go of it.  My sister-in-law and I laughed and laughed.
So a true accounting of the day's dose of laughter will come in my husband telling me bad jokes as we drove to Dubuque. 

How come they don't play poker in the jungle?
Because there are too many cheetahs.

How come you never see an elephant hiding in a tree?
Because they're good at it.
See the wet spot? That was a solution for bubbles. There were angry words about that, too.
But I pet the dogs, I commiserated with my sister-in-law about her lack of options for childcare, discussed my other niece's favorite exercises at physical therapy with her (some weird slide thing that she gets to walk up backwards, but apparently has lots of textures on it), and ate two bratwursts and about a pound of potato chips.  I'm going to call it a win.
***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit To Quit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment