Friday, January 30, 2015

8.30 Contemplate - Tape It Up

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirtieth day of each month is "Contemplate."
*************************************
I'm a trashy romance novel junkie.  I check Bookbub every day for free titles, I check them out by the dozen at the local library, and I find myself extremely annoyed when there's a less than perfect family. Maybe contemporary romance novelists think that readers want heroines from a tortured background - abusive or addicted parents, sexual assault, or used to be a chubby teenager - but I really don't. I want it all to be perfect and happy and when I close the book I think a good person ended up with another good person and they'll go on to raise other good little people and family gatherings will be delightful and enjoyable for everyone except the sullen teenagers.

Because those books are pure escapism for me. I don't want family issues. I've got plenty of my own, thank you. I don't want to read about past abusive, I have my own to wrestle with, you know.  So there you have it.
This post brought to you by my sister's birthday tomorrow. I will call her, wish her a happy birthday, she will make some sort of complaint about the gift I sent her, and I will hang up wanting to cry.

I'm a grown adult who has dealt with my childhood trauma, but sometimes, when I least expect it, it surges to the surface ever so briefly to remind me that life is not a romance novel.
*************************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment