Monday, December 01, 2014

November 2014 Books

Festive in Death by J.D. Robb (Kindle book) - Fine, I actually read this in October, but I didn't actually do enough reading in October to justify a round-up of posts (oh, really, NGS, you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire again? - you don't say).  I was a bit dumbfounded as to why the publisher released this book, set during the Christmas holiday, in September. Weird. Also, the In Death series is done. Robb has nothing left to say. Unless she really shakes it up (KILL ROARKE! KILL ROARKE! - I would love to see Eve without her abusive husband around) in the next installment, I might never read another one again and be totally okay with that.

NOTE: I'm a big talker. I will never stop reading this series.

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (Kindle books) - The books are Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, and Hero of the Ages. This is fantasy done well, with excellent world building and perfect lessons in politics and the human endeavor.  The last book took what you thought you knew and turned it on its head and made me want to reread it all over again in light of what I now knew. It was magical and wonderful and I can't say enough good things about these books. Please read them so I can talk to somebody about them!


The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson (Kindle book) -  This is a continuation of the original trilogy, set hundreds of years in the future from where we last left. I did not enjoy this one as much, partly because the characters were just not as fully fleshed out from the beginning. 

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Kindle book) - I got sucked into reading this book because someone on Pop Culture Happy Hour recommended the sequel, Ancillary Sword, and when I did my "research" on the original book, I learned it had won the Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke awards, and decided I needed to figure out what was going on with this book. And it was okay the first time through and MARVELOUS upon a second reading.  It definitely deserves your time and effort to go through it a second time.

I've also been reading some trashy romance series.  Just ask me if you want to know more about Courtney Milan's The Brothers Sinister books (I've read the first four and they are deliciously decadent historical fiction) or Olivia Cunning's The Sinners on Tour books (dreamy). 

Books I want to read over Christmas break (weeks away! days to just read!):
Reread Ancillary Justice and read Ancillary Sword for the first time
Read the entire The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman (I've read the first two, but they're worth reading again and the third book is out now, so I can complete the whole thing!)

What else should I put on my reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment