Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pages, pages, pages

Here are some thoughts on books I've read recently.

I reread the last four books of the Harry Potter series. The books are still genius. I still think Dumbledore was an idiot.

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb: Riveting. I was spellbound by the world and by the main character. Sometimes I get flack for reading a lot of popular press fiction, but this was good stuff. I read a different Robin Hobb book (Dragon Keeper) that I absolutely loved and I love this one, too. Unfortunately, the waiting list for Hobb books at our library is incredibly long, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get another one!

Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline: I had a different Scottoline book on my list of recommended readings, but this was the only one I could actually find in my library. It was fine. It was entertaining and fluffy and fine.

Ruined by Paula Morris: Take one spoiled, entitled rich girl from New York City and place her in a school filled with spoiled, rich girls from New Orleans, and what do you get? A young adult book with annoying, unsympathetic characters! On the bright side, I do feel like I learned a lot about New Orleans. Do I feel like it was worth the knowledge on the Big Easy? Maybe.

Revenge of the Cheerleaders by Janette Rallison: I've read Rallison before, but this book was my better than My Fair Godmother. The characters are all very likable and the situations, while farcical and silly, seemed to make sense. Fun.

Indulgence in Death by JD Robb: It is well documented that I have a total love for the In Death series. But this book is totally phoning it in. It's just Seduction in Death with different names for the characters. Plus, I demand more Mavis. And fewer stupid Ireland bits that have nothing to do with the rest of the novel. I think this is just lazy. Maybe after 30 books, Robb doesn't have any more ideas. That's fine, but she should wrap the series up in a pretty bow and stop getting my hopes up that the books will be awesome as the early books in the series.

There you have it. Read Robin Hobb and Janette Rallison.

Up next on my list, I have The Eight, Freakanomics (don't ask), and, in honor of Elizabeth, I've put Finnikin of the Rock back on my list. Reviews will be forthcoming. Eventually.

2 comments:

  1. So glad I wasn't the only one who found Ruined completely annoying. Even laying by the pool in Mexico, I couldn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Assassin's Apprentice too! I found the first one at a thrift store, the library only had the 2nd one, and I found the 3rd one a year(!) later at the library's used book sale.

    So, by the way, hi. I read your blog randomly mostly because I like the occasional book reviews. I'm not sure how I found you in the first place - a link from some other blog I assume. I'd send you a link to my blog if it had something more interesting on it than pictures of my kids :)

    ReplyDelete