Thursday, May 06, 2010

And more books

l8r, g8r by Lauren Myracle - This book is told through the instant messages of three teenage girls. Apparently, this is a type of novel called epistolary, but my liberal arts education meant I was ignorant of this word until quite recently. I love to read books told through letters and I really want to read e: a novel by Matt Beaumont, a book similarly told through emails. This book was fine. It was funny at times. A completely fine fluff book. I don't think it will change the world, but you may be amused for a few hours.

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty - I wanted to like this book. And I kind of did. But I felt like something was missing. Notably, the whole book was based on a teenage girl who is missing her best friend who moved away. But we get very little evidence that this relationship actually existed aside from letters the main character would write to the best friend at the beginning of every month. But, really, she was such a whiny brat about her best friend moving that I thought for sure we'd see more flashbacks about that friendship. It just didn't do it for me.

Rumors: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen - This is the second book of the Luxe series. It was not as good as the first, but still pretty good. We follow Elizabeth, Diana, Will, Henry, Penelope, and Lina around spying into their late 1800s lives. I am not usually a fan of historical fiction, but these books are enough like an episode of Guiding Light: Gilded Age that I can get behind them. I'll order the third book from the library.

secrets to happiness by Sarah Dunn - This book was fine. It passed away an afternoon pleasantly enough, in between running downstairs to deal with laundry and get my sick husband some water and/or jello. It has been two days since I've finished the book and with the exception of the fact that there was a dog on the cover, a dog plot line, and a character named Holly, I don't remember much of it. So. It's an acceptable read.

Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb - I loved this book. It's the first in the Rain Wilds series and I'm totally going to read the other books. It was creative and I loved the two main female characters. I made sure to note to my husband that one of the characters was an adolescent girl and the other was a woman in a suspended state of adolescence, so even though it was not a teen book, it still had enough eighth grade angst to keep me amused. This is so worth a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment