Friday, December 08, 2006

Five Star Ratings

So, the music player on my new computer automatically rates songs for me!! I think it's based on how much I play them. I can also manually rate them, but that's time consuming. For now, I love that it automatically rates them. So, since I've only had this computer for about a month, here's what I've been listening to (these are the only ones with five star ratings). Not too bad. There are only 19 songs, out of the 1200 or so on my computer, so I guess I listen to a variety of songs, which is good.

1) "Back to L.A." by Beth Hart - My bestest friend introduced me to Beth Hart in college. I'm not a huge fan, but this song makes me cry every damn time. We've all been there, sister.

She's got a gun, she's got a gun
She's got a gun she calls the lucky one
She left a note right by the phone
Don't leave a message 'cause this ain't no home

2) "It Could've Been Me" by Billy Ray Cyrus - I'm almost too embarrassed to put this one up. But, seriously, Some Gave All is a pretty awesome album if you ignore "Achy Breaky Heart." And this song is all about love gone wrong. It's classic!!

3) "Austin" by Blake Shelton - I just realized that this list makes me the lamest, most country-listening person every. This is an awesome song. He's been busy bowling and camping and selling the car, but he still loves her. And she realizes she's been an idiot. And it's a great love song. If you like the idea of men pining. Which, you know, I kind of do.

4) "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper - Whew. Non-country here. This is an awesome song, baby. If you're feeling sad, Cyndi will cheer you up by telling you that your true self is good enough. I think all grad students should be given a copy of this song at orientation.

5) "Be My Downfall" (acoustic) by Del Amitri - I admit it. I love these guys. I love that this song puts men in a bad, bad spot. And a (bad, bad) woman in the power position. (Yeah, yeah, some woman is getting hurt, but we don't meet her in the song, so let's just pretend she doesn't exist.)

6) "A Man's Home is his Castle" by Faith Hill - Hey, I'm not a huge Faith fan. This is the only song by her I have on my computer. But it's a rare day I don't listen to it. Domestic violence is brutal. I think this is a good song that illustrates the pain people go through every day, feeling as if they are trapped, feeling scared all the time. Whenever I forget why I'm doing all this grad school stuff, this song reminds me. People need help.

7) "This Ain't Tennessee" by Garth Brooks - This song is one of the bonus songs from the limited edition box set. His voice is flawless in this song. Clear, high, and beautiful. Anyone who wants to fight with me about this, bring it. I love Garth in this song.

And I know her love is true
And she tries so hard to please
Still I think sometimes she sees
That this ain't Tennessee
And she ain't you

8) "Which One of Them" by Garth Brooks - Another of the bonus songs from the box set. I want to learn how to play the piano just so I can play this song.

9)"I Don't Have To Wonder" by Garth Brooks - This is from Sevens, which is quite possibly the best Garth album. My friend Tammy dubbed this "The Ring Song," and I love its melodrama. I think Garth Brooks could give Meatloaf some tips on how to be overly-dramatic in presentation in this song. And that's saying something. If you listen to it in the car, you might get some strange looks because you always end up gesturing wildly (you have to throw the ring!) and screaming. (Not that this scenario has ever happened to NGS at the light at Hennepin and Franklin. Not at all.)

10) "Bourbon Borderline" by Gary Allan - Haven't we all made or received drunken phone calls from exes at some point in our lives? The simplicity of the solo guitar makes this song all the more poignant.

I wish that I could tell you why I call
Sometimes it's just hard for me, that's all
I know that it's over and it's just a waste of time
Until I cross that bourbon borderline

11) "Life Ain't Always Beautiful" by Gary Allan - This song does make me cry every damn time. I heard it on the way to a funeral in the not too distant past. It brings it all flooding back. I've actually cut back on my listening because it ruins otherwise good moods. But I think it does what music is supposed to do and makes you feel deeply and think about priorities. And it does it well.

12) "Better Days" by Guy Clark - Another song on domestic violence. There's hope, people.

13) "Stay Gone" by Jimmy Wayne - I don't know how this song made this list. I guess I do listen to it a lot. In my defense, it's not really my favorite. His voice isn't terribly good.

14) "Picture Postcards from L. A." by Joshua Kadison - Do you even remember this guy? I love this song. I have no defense. It's not terribly original, but it's all about feeling like you're stuck somewhere. Like grad school.

15) "Why they Call it Falling" by Lee Ann Womack - Heartbreakingly beautiful. And true.

16) "She Doesn't Dance" by Mark McGuinn - Mark McGuinn released his album on an independent label and had a song ("Mrs. Stephen Rudy") go to number 1 on the country charts, which was a first at that time. This is from the same album. Again, I like it because a woman is in charge of breaking hearts. I'm suddenly noticing a pattern. Maybe I hate men. Don't tell Biker Boy.

17) "Family Portrait" by Pink - I'm sorry, ya'all. This reminds me of when I was a kid. I can't help it. Her voice is horrible, but this song speaks to me.

18) "Two Beds and a Coffee Machine" by Savage Garden - This is the very best song about domestic violence that I know (and if it isn't clear by now, I do know a lot of these types of songs). It addresses the wanting to leave, but the very real reasons why leaving is not always feasible. And it does so without preaching, without judging, and with a tremendous amount of beauty. I don't think I know any other Savage Garden songs, but this one holds a place in my heart. (As a matter of fact, as I write this, this song is playing.)

19) "Silent all These Years" by Tori Amos - This is what makes me a stereotype of a woman. I listen to Tori Amos. I can feel the angst and pain.

I am surprised there is no Joan Baez or Skid Row or Springsteen (where's the Boss?) or classic country here. I'll have to work on it!!

1 comment:

  1. There is a song called "Borbon Borderline"?!?!? I thought "Women Without Whiskey" was the highlight of my day.

    ReplyDelete