Wednesday, August 19, 2026

The Warm Hands of Ghosts by Katherine Arden

Shoutout to Diane who recommended The Warm Hands of Ghosts by Katherine Arden when I asked for audiobook recommendations.

It is 1917. Laura Iven is a war nurse who has returned home to Halifax after she was injured. Her mother and father are killed in a terrible explosion in the port. Meanwhile, she has received confusing messages about the death of her brother Freddie at the front in Belgium. She arranges to go back to Europe in order to find out what happened to her brother.

Once there, though, Laura starts to hear rumors of a hotelier who plays violin and creates a space for men to forget about their pain and what happened to Freddie becomes less and less clear. 

Listen, I am not  usually a Great War kind of girl. I actually find most war books too repetitive and dark for me. But this one, with its faint whiff of magical realism, female bonds, and the power of family, both found and natural, hit just the right spot for me. Also, the narrators, Michael Crouch, and January LaVoy, had such lyrical voices that I never found myself drifting off, which has become quite a problem for me with audiobooks recently.

Anyway, this was a great rec. Thanks, Diane! 4/5 stars

Line of note:
"Maybe this is hell," he said, only half joking. He supposed in hell it didn't matter if you were Canadian or German. That put the war in perspective... (chapter 4)
There's a lot of foreshadowing in this line. Super interesting. 

Thing I looked up:
Halifax explosion - I linked to it up above because it's such a crucial plot point. With both of her parents killed in this explosion, Laura had nothing left in Halifax, so heading back to the warfront made sense. Without this explosion, would Laura have stayed in Halifax to recuperate from her war injury and care for her parents?

On December 6, 1917, the French cargo ship SS Mont-Blanc and the Norwegian vessel SS Imo collided in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Laden with high explosives, Mont-Blanc caught fire and detonated, devastating the Richmond district of Halifax. At least 1,782 people, largely in Halifax and Dartmouth, were killed by the blast, debris, fires, or collapsed buildings, and an estimated 9,000 others were injured. The blast was the largest human-made explosion at the time. CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE?

WWI pillbox - a type of blockhouse, or concrete dug-in guard-post, often camouflaged, normally equipped with loopholes through which defenders can fire weapons. It is in effect a trench firing step, hardened to protect against small-arms fire and grenades, and raised to improve the field of fire. The modern concrete pillbox originated on the Western Front of World War I by the German army. 

Hat mentions (why hats?):
top hat (chapter 2)
tin hat (chapter 4, chapter 12x2)
larger hat (chapter 7)
pass the hat (chapter 7 x2)
flowered hat (chapter 11)
under her hat (chapter 13)
tipping his hat (chapter 15)
covered his face with his hat (chapter 19)
funny hats (author's note)

Do you read a lot of WWI books? Is there another one I should be reading? 

2 comments:

  1. The Halifax explosion is something we all learn about in school up here, it was such a devastating thing! The best WWI book IMO is All Quiet on the Western Front, but I also like Johnny Got His Gun. I don't know if I am recommending these to you or not, and I haven't read either of them in 25 years or so, but to me they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Nicole said: The Halifax Explosion is a key piece of Canadian history and required learning in school. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (in Halifax) has a section all about this tragedy with some incredible before/after photos of the impact of the blast. If you ever come visit me, I can take you there!

    I don't have any WWI books I can think of off the top of my head; definitely not my go-to genre!

    ReplyDelete