Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Once and for All by Sarah Dessen



I am a Sarah Dessen fangirl. I think Dreamland and Just Listen are nearly perfect examples of literature. Dessen's depictions of abuse and the aftermath of trauma are frighteningly accurate and rich in emotional detail. The stories resonate with me and I think about the car wash scene in Just Listen more often than I care to admit.

But I'm the first to admit that Dessen has way more forgettable entries in her bibliography.  Saint Anything, the last new book I read from Dessen, was so forgettable I don't remember anything about it except the disappointing feeling I had when I turned the last page.  So I wasn't running out to buy the new Sarah Dessen book and this book has been out for years and I'm just now getting to it. 

And this book missed the mark for me.

Louna is the daughter of a wedding planner who is cynical about love.  Ambrose is an annoying guy who also works with her mother.  They meet and fall in love, but it's not that easy. Louna despises Ambrose for much of the novel (and I can't really blame her). Louna's previous boyfriend died in a traumatic way and she's still holding onto feelings because of that.  Ambrose is...not a person I'd like in my life, but I guess there's a lid for every pot.

Truth:  The trauma Louna is dealing with because of her boyfriend's death is never dealt with appropriately.

Truth: Ambrose is a jerk who thinks the world revolves around him and his very close circle of friends.

Truth: Things happen with no consequences in the book when there would be consequences in real life, including staying out all night and stealing a dog.

Truth: Louna dates a different guy for part of this book and she treated him terribly. #BenDeservesBetter

Truth: I didn't enjoy this book.

Truth: I immediately put the newest Sarah Dessen book on hold at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment