Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Broken Bones, Broken Minds

Just after Thanksgiving, I started limping. Not my normal limp caused by a broken leg from several years ago, but a brand new limp caused my some unknown ailment in my supposedly good leg.

I ignored it, kept working out, kept going on my daily walks, and kept doing my life until this one day in early December.

I had an agonizing headache. I had a weird thing going on in my mouth that I had been to the dentist for and it turns out was super painful but would go away in a day or two (and it did). I had a massive breakout of eczema on my right hand that made daily chores like typing and getting dressed hard, and, oh yeah, my right leg was killing me.

I went to the doctor.

I had somehow broken the navicular bone in my right foot. I don't know how, exactly, but I suspect I landed on my right foot awkwardly when I went for a run at my father-in-law's house. I vaguely remember dropping my phone during this run, which led to a cascade of me stopping suddenly, sort of twitting and landing on my right foot harder than I intended, and a bit of pain, but it wasn't even serious enough for me to stop running.

So for over a month now, I have had to ease up on working out. I can't walk because it hurts my foot. I can't do yoga or pilates because all the bare foot standing positions are super duper painful. I can't do weightlifting because the extra weight on my foot is not fun. I could ride my bike, but it's cold outside and I don't want to ride my bike.  So I'm not. 

And I'm miserable. I've been miserable for weeks.  I'm grumpy. I can feel my muscles atrophying as I sit here. Anxiety unlike anything I've had in years is rearing its ugly head. I find my brain going around and around in circles and then just starting the whole cycle again.

But next week, my friends. Next week I'm going to start easing in on walking again. And by the end of the month, I better be back at working out regularly or it's possible my husband is going to file for divorce.  And when I start working out again, I assume all this anxiety and stress will melt away and I'll feel like a normal person again.

That's what's going on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment