Friday, May 18, 2018

Podcast Roundup Week #20

This week was a slow week. We were out of town for a wedding last weekend, so no podcast listening time then, and this week has been a surprisingly busy finals week. I listened to 26 episodes and just want to talk about two of them.
Matt Gourley interviews the not famous people who were on movie sets or somehow involved in the making of a film in the podcast I Was There Too. I like it when he interviews extras who are barely in the movie because Gourley is such a movie nerd that he'll ask them small details like what they were served for lunch that almost always spool into more interesting topics. So many people start by saying "I don't remember much" and then they have an hour-long interview. Gourley is fun. 

The recent episode with an animal trainer named Molly O'Neill made me so happy. Gourley and his wife were asking questions about their fat cat, O'Neill was cooing at the same fat cat, and I got to hear about how wolves are actually kind of scared. If you like animals and dream about spending your days cuddling with cats and teaching goats how to go to a mark, this episode might be for you.

I'm a Reddit user and I was familiar with the general story about the incel (involuntary celibate) movement and how men were using their sexless lives as reasons to murder people. The Reply All episode "INVCEL" dove deeper into the somewhat innocent beginnings of the movement. It all started with a Canadian woman who wanted to help people who were having trouble getting dates. 

The lesson I learned from this episode is that it never pays to help people. I'm not sure if that's the message I was supposed to get, but that's my take home point.

No comments:

Post a Comment