Monday, January 22, 2018

A Twist of the Knife by Becky Masterson

A Twist of the Knife is apparently the third in a series based around the main character of Brigid Quinn. I, for my part, had no idea when I picked this book up, and it's a completely standalone book. 

I really liked this book. It's a whodunit with a pointed position on the death penalty, so reader beware if an overt political message is distracting to you.  I did not figure out the mystery and later on felt a bit silly because the foreshadowing was no subtle, but isn't that the best kind of mystery?  I'm still actually occasionally finding myself remembering slight details and sort of shaking an internal finger at myself for not being a careful reader. 

The other aspect of this book that is noteworthy is that it's just delightful to have a female character who is older (late 50s/early 60s, I gather), sort of morally ambiguous, but somehow delightful in her tortuous reasoning.  Sue Grafton's death has left me a bit adrift as far as female protagonists go (no one will replace Kinsey in my heart), but I like that maybe I could have a future with Brigid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment