Friday, September 22, 2017

CSA Week 16: The Size of the Kohlrabi!

This week the bag I was heavy. That is all.

Bok choy
Tomatillos
Jalapeno (x2)
Sweet yellow peppers (x3)
Carrots
Garlic
Red onions (x2)
Rainbow chard
Parsley
Kohlrabi (a giant bulb)
Okay, you guys. Why so much bok choy this year?  I don't know.  I meant to make a boy choy risotto with the last bunch, but by the time I got around to it, it wasn't fresh anymore, so I get a redo. I already have all the ingredients for it.

I have part of the Napa cabbage from last week left (I didn't make the kimchi because it seemed like a lot of work for something I probably wouldn't like), so I'll use that and part of that giant kohlrabi in a slaw.

I'll eat the carrots and sweet peppers raw.

We'll use the chard in an egg dish. I'll make some salsa verde for book club with the tomatillos.

The garlic, onions, and jalapenos will go in the fridge and a month from now I'll throw them out. I'm just being real with you now.

If you're paying super close attention, you might wonder what these are.
These are pawpaws, an American fruit that is relatively rare and mostly unknown outside of a few strange diehard fruit people. I ran into my farmer at yoga class earlier this week (SMALL TOWN, PEOPLE) and she had been to a SECRET LOCATION where there was a top secret pawpaw tree and picked a bunch. She gave me a couple and I let them ripen on the counter for a few days and then I ate one and it was disgusting and made my tongue itch.

So, I don't think I'll put buying a pawpaw tree on my bucket list anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment