Friday, September 08, 2017

CSA Week 14: Can You Pickle Peppers?

This was our first week of classes and I'm not going to lie, I considered just lying down in the street and calling it quits when I was about two blocks away from our house on the way back from getting the vegetables this week. When I thought about having to clean it all and put it away AND then make dinner and do the dishes, I almost gave up.  But I persevered. Also, I ate a granola bar.

This week is not looking particularly promising.

Sage
Peppers (1 pound, apparently, which is 5)
Bok choy
Kale
Onions (3)
Garlic
Beets (and greens)
This is a lot greens my friends. We'll probably use the kale in a frittata. I can probably saute the beet greens with some garlic and onion for a lunch side this weekend. We haven't actually figured out a way to use the bok choy, although we have an Instant Pot, so I might try some sort of magical recipe that I haven't quite found yet.
I could potentially eat the peppers (one a day isn't that hard, really), but I might try to pickle them.  We'll see.  Normally our farmers would include a recipe or two in the newsletter if they gave us this much of something, but nope. Not a peep this week.  A sage and beet soup I'll never ever ever make was included, but an idea of how to use this many peppers?  Not a word.

Does anyone in southeastern Wisconsin want these damn beets? We sure don't. I've tried various preps over the years and it turns out that I just don't like them. And if I don't like them, you can bet your booty that Dr. BB is not going to eat them.
Well, that's that. This week will be a challenge, but I know that squash is just around the corner and then we will LOVE the CSA again, but right now I find myself just the teeny tiniest bit pissed at the January Me who signed up us for this nonsense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment