Thursday, November 03, 2016

The Walk

Sometimes I slag on this place. It's not where I want to live. It's not beautiful in a traditional way. Its politics are frightening at times.  But yesterday, just when I was at the end of my rope - the flat tire, the election nonsense, the annoying baseball season that won't end and takes up endless hours of my husband's time, the stacks of grading, the shoes that need repair, the indecipherable text messages from my mom - I went out for my regular walk and was blown away.

The changing fall colors are a slow burn this year. There hasn't been one big, all out beautiful weekend, but individual trees are slowly changing. It's been warm enough that going outside isn't unpleasant and I haven't even considered wearing my winter coat.
So let's give it up for the power of exercise, for clearing your mind, and for remember that you are just a small cog in the wheel of the world and that's all you need to be. 

1 comment:

  1. We feel very fortunate to be able to walk for miles in beauty right out the door -- whenever we feel like it. I think as I get older, I appreciate nature more and more.

    ReplyDelete