Monday, March 14, 2016

Project Quilt: Completed

Part I and Part II of the saga of the quilt.

I went to my quilting class on Tuesday night without a clear expectation of what exactly was next since I had quilted the top, batting, and back together. It turns out that I had to cut the binding pieces, piece it, and then put the binding on the quilt to finish it. I did not finish in class, but rather I finished it in a frenzy of obscenities and cat frightening seam ripping on Friday afternoon.

Unfortunately, it was in the 50s and 60s over the weekend, so we don't actually need a quilt right now, but you better believe we're going to leave it on the couch to gather cat fur BECAUSE I CAN.
Here's the cost:
$45 for the cost of the class at my local quilting shop
$13.88 for the piecing foot
$59.10 for the fabric on the front of the quilt and a spool of thread
$7.97 for an additional spool of thread
$59.15 for the fabric I used on the back and on the binding and the batting
$11.95 for safety pins and one more spool of thread
$25.08 for the even feed foot

Total: $222.13

If I take out the cost of the class (as if I ever would have done this on my own! ha!) and the cost of the feet, which I will presumably not have to purchase again, it's $138.17.

And hours and hours and hours of frustration and annoyance. I'd estimate it was about 40 hours, maybe off a couple of hours on either side.

I'm not sure quilting is the hobby for me, but I'm glad I did it and took out some of the mystery involved. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, it also wouldn't take as long the next time or even maybe the next time. And you can re-use the safety pins at least. $138 is not much more than some quilts cost, so I'd say it's worth it to have a beautiful quilt custom tailored to your tastes and a trade you can use come the apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete